Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are wheelchair tire locks so poorly designed?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I guess I am way to cheap for that... I have read some reviews that leave me wanting... like you said they are not perfect and for me to pay that much for them they would have to be closer to perfect. I do not know what it cost to make them but just looking at them I have to think there is a great deal of profit in them and it is just so damn expensive to be in one of these chairs in the first place and then I see something like that and think why does it seem like everyone wants to make a ton of money off my misfortune.

Agreed. They've been marked up quite a lot over the years. They were less than $500 when I got my set and now they're like $900-$1000. Crazy.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Don't you also have to buy an extra disk part for every set of wheels?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    Don't you also have to buy an extra disk part for every set of wheels?
    Yep. Each set of wheels you want to use them with needs the hub attachment ring. They aren't permanent or hard to attach. I've used the same locking rings on 3-4 different wheel sets (of the same type and brand) over the years. I've only bought one additional set for my off-road wheels. Wasn't expensive.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Thank you each for your input. I will research "D's" locks. I was thinking about how easy it would be to come up with a better design - like simply isolating the connection to the frame from the placement of the scissor - or some sort of adjustment in the break pad itself - from skinny to fat. Hmmm.

Oh! Holy craps. D's locks for my wife's Aero Z are $550. Plus there may some upcharge depending on the spoke arrangement (I don't have time to figure that out).
    Guess it's time to add this to my list,... the next time I get to work on my list.

https://bike-on.com/surelock-wheelchair-locks

I've gotten these my last few chairs. Used to get them direct from the guy who makes, but his website is down. He customizes to each chair, if something breaks, he sends for free. I'll look for his contact info.

speaking of those locks i just had my right 1 replaced after 6 years. getting another chair however it is stuck right now in my docs office!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I'd like a brake that has enough drag in the lever that it can be lightly applies, light enough to keep you parked but still weak enough that you can move the chair; I seem to get into situations where I need to re-position myself quickly; having to unlock and relook the brakes is just bad ergonomics and a persistent PITA!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    My wife has an AeroZ with the compact scissor locks that stay out of the way, but the system for holding the entire thing in place is ridiculous. The clamp bites the chair on one side, and the barrel for the break mechanism on the other side. If you loosen it to adjust the breaks, the whole thing is in play. No micro-adjuster, no locking reference point to show you where you started. I really enjoy figuring out how to do stuff, but this issue has to be epidemic. Am I missing something? Does this annoy anybody else? Has anybody seen anything better?

My TiLites have welded lock mount receivers which can accommodate any of the push-pull and scissor brakes that TiLite offers. They don't eliminate all of the issues you're having. There's still trial and error involved in positioning the depth of brakes to the desired tension, but I like not having the bulky clamp on the side of the frame. I was formerly a big fan of locking hub systems, but they added weight to the chair and I prefer the more positive force of the scissor locks -- that is, no wiggle. Also not a fan of spending hundreds of dollars to get hub mounts when switching to different brand/model of wheels. (Not even sure if one exists for Topolinos, which I also have.)

It's all trade-offs. I agree that something better can probably be designed. That design will probably hit the market 5 years after the cure for SCI, so I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    https://bike-on.com/surelock-wheelchair-locks

I've gotten these my last few chairs. Used to get them direct from the guy who makes, but his website is down. He customizes to each chair, if something breaks, he sends for free. I'll look for his contact info.
    Been using them for 8 years myself, much better than traditional brakes. Only drawback is Jack wanted $600 for set of 'discs' for my spare Spinergy wheels. Don't think I paid that much for the whole set up in 2010

surelock@gbta.net (Jack E. Roberts)
    620-324-5621
    www.surelockinc.com