Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are wheelchair tire locks so poorly designed?

Why are wheelchair tire locks so poorly designed?

My wife has an AeroZ with the compact scissor locks that stay out of the way, but the system for holding the entire thing in place is ridiculous. The clamp bites the chair on one side, and the barrel for the break mechanism on the other side. If you loosen it to adjust the breaks, the whole thing is in play. No micro-adjuster, no locking reference point to show you where you started. I really enjoy figuring out how to do stuff, but this issue has to be epidemic. Am I missing something? Does this annoy anybody else? Has anybody seen anything better?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

D's Locks. They aren't perfect but they're better. One flick of the remote lever and both wheels lock. The only compromise, IMO, is a little play when locked. They don't force a solid connection between the wheels and the frame the way scissor locks do, so any play between the wheels and axles and frame is still there, however, owing to the design, they can't ever slip. Once you realize this, the tiny wiggle you can force out of the chair while locked just doesn't matter. Also they aren't dependent on tire pressure or hand strength to function. Been using them for over 10 years and have only had one issue in that time. I've used the same set on 3 chairs to date.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

mine have these pots welded on the frame so it can only slide in and out, it wont twist, fall etc maybe you could get this done?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    Does this annoy anybody else?
    The short answer is Yes, absolutely, more so given how much we are charged for that shitty little piece of plastic composite.

OtherBruce: what's nice about your deal is that the brake is (can be) mounted with the two allen screws in front of the tire so it can be adjusted with the tire left on!

I'd get it adjusted properly, and then mark the position with a felt pen, then using a scribe or icepick, scribe a line along the root of the interface.
    Then scribe a straight line down the shaft of the brake and a short one from there at the intersection radially on the bracket.
    If you wanted to ice the cake, then remove the brakes and scribe some lines +/- to the first line, perhaps every 1/16"?
    That will make it easy to readjust the brake with different tires, etc. The thing that's so frustrating about these setups: if you slip and loose your place, you have to start over.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I'm on my 3rd set of the scissor locks. i think i may go with D's locks next. another issue with scissors i've had is when my tires get low on air they slip and wear my tires.

One of the things I hate is I pop on a different set of tires/wheels and I have to adjust the brakes or most likely not because they are a pain to adjust. Why not make a lever on the inside or bottom that you can open then slide the brakes forward or backward and close again instead of Allen nuts that I have to take the wheels off to loosen then do my best guess as to how far to move them and tighten back down then pop wheel back on and hope I got it right

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    One of the things I hate is I pop on a different set of tires/wheels and I have to adjust the brakes
    +1 ...
    I'm seriously thinking at a modification of a pair, but I haven't found it yet.
    I would like to introduce somewhere, maybe in the leverage, an easily adjustable screw that could give a micro-adjustment.
    Another solution should be a eccentric brake pad, that could be adjusted by rotation, without having to unscrew all this mess ...
    Last edited by robotnik; 03-10-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    One of the things I hate is I pop on a different set of tires/wheels and I have to adjust the brakes or most likely not because they are a pain to adjust. Why not make a lever on the inside or bottom that you can open then slide the brakes forward or backward and close again instead of Allen nuts that I have to take the wheels off to loosen then do my best guess as to how far to move them and tighten back down then pop wheel back on and hope I got it right
    Another short coming solved by D's Locks.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Another short coming solved by D's Locks.
    I guess I am way to cheap for that... I have read some reviews that leave me wanting... like you said they are not perfect and for me to pay that much for them they would have to be closer to perfect. I do not know what it cost to make them but just looking at them I have to think there is a great deal of profit in them and it is just so damn expensive to be in one of these chairs in the first place and then I see something like that and think why does it seem like everyone wants to make a ton of money off my misfortune.