Thread: Gentamicin and Micorcyn AH

Gentamicin and Micorcyn AH

I have searched and been provided some info on another post I made about gentamicin flushes. I wanted to start a new thread and maybe get more info from long term users of it. I have used vetericyn or Microcyn AH for years and it has helped but not been a magic wand for me like some others have had.

Can you use both micro and genta at the same day or time??

how often do you use genta flushes? Daily or just when you are starting to feel symptomatic?

has anyone became resistant In anyway? I've read a study that says you don't become resistant and it was 75% effective for people.

people with Indwellimg CathS or SP caths how do you do it and how long do you leave it in for? With Vetericyn I can hold 30ml for 30min. My bladder capacity has shrunk and can't clamp it for a long time.

Here are some old threads I found and some of the links are real old. Need some 2018 info posted. Thanks for the help guys. I want to get better and to stop taking Anti biotics.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ntamicin+flush

And this was a study done on Genamicin flushes I was given on another thread I wanted to put here.

http://www.cuaj.ca/index.php/journal...File/4434/3273
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

i straight cath and reflex void. gent is used daily to prevent not treat uti's
    i mix my gent with hydrocleanse for night instill and just regular saline for morning instill.
    50ml saline/120 mg gent morning
    50ml hydrocleanse/120mg gent night
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My Dad has been using Gent instillations for 3 years, after a year of 7 or 8 UTIs. Working well. No culture positive UTIs since.

He does CIC 3x during the day, and puts in a foley each night. He uses hydrocleanse to activate his hydrophilic catheters.

He instills 60ml Gentamicin twice a day - his morning cath, and a cath before dinner. He leaves it in until the next cath.

The Gentamicin is made according to the Cox et al. paper. 60ml = 28.8mg.

The recent paper was interesting, stating that people using the Gentamicin instillations not only had fewer UTIs, but they didn't develop Gent resistant UTIs and had fewer multi-drug resistant organisms in their urine cultures. But the study followed patients for only 6 months, which is crazy short. I hope they continue to follow patients for a few years to see the long term benefits/effects.

i think its still active. its from last september. the u of m are big on instills for us
    Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    My Dad has been using Gent instillations for 3 years, after a year of 7 or 8 UTIs. Working well. No culture positive UTIs since.

He does CIC 3x during the day, and puts in a foley each night. He uses hydrocleanse to activate his hydrophilic catheters.

He instills 60ml Gentamicin twice a day - his morning cath, and a cath before dinner. He leaves it in until the next cath.

The Gentamicin is made according to the Cox et al. paper. 60ml = 28.8mg.

The recent paper was interesting, stating that people using the Gentamicin instillations not only had fewer UTIs, but they didn't develop Gent resistant UTIs and had fewer multi-drug resistant organisms in their urine cultures. But the study followed patients for only 6 months, which is crazy short. I hope they continue to follow patients for a few years to see the long term benefits/effects.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

For those of you that are using gentamicin, do you have any coverage through insurance, especially Medicare part D?

For those that are completely out-of-pocket, how much is it running you for once a day instillation? Please specify how much you use per instillation. Does it come pre-mixed or do you have to mix it yourself?

For those that are completely out-of-pocket, what is your source for purchasing it? I briefly looked at my Medicare part D plan and it looked like it would be the most expensive tier level, with undoubtedly a heavy out-of-pocket cost. It would probably drain my entire part D budget for the year and would probably be better bought on my own.

I use 5% lidocaine ointment pre bowel care to minimize the AD. Three tubes were running several hundred dollars through Medicare part D. I buy through Universal Drugstore in Canada for $40. A ridiculous savings.

Thank you.

My Dad has a Medicare Advantage plan through his previous employer. So he doesn't have a traditional Part D plan. It uses Medicare guidelines, but has better co-pays and no donut hole. Gentamicin is an old, relatively inexpensive antibiotic, so in theory it should not cost very much and his co-pays are modest. But I realize how the price of even cheap generic medicines has gotten out of control.

My Dad also has an immunodeficiency and his needs are slightly different than some of the other users. His Gentamicin is prepared by an infusion compounding pharmacy (Walgreen's Option Care in our area). The local Walgreens or hospital pharmacies would not prepare it. You need one of the specialized ones in our area. They mix it as per the prescription from his urologist (same concentration as the paper cited), and then aliquot it into 60cc syringes (28.8mg/60ml). It is delivered once a week, in a cooler with an ice pack, and we keep it in the fridge until ready to use.

The medicine itself goes through Part D. Then a separate charge goes through Medicare Part B for the fee to prepare the solution, and for any accompanying supplies.

I am also curious if anyone on straight Medicare is using it, with similar coverage. His urologist said everyone gets it covered.

Maybe these two threads should be merged since the inquires are so similar.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...uti-prevention
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...nd-Micorcyn-AH