Thread: Keeping Sterile for Regular Irrigations

Keeping Sterile for Regular Irrigations

I'm trying to work toward regularly irrigating my suprapubic catheter to keep it from blocking up with sediment. My urologist recommended as one of several potential solutions to my catheter blocking issue, and he has shown me the procedure a number of times. I have a number of irrigation kits at home from doing irrigations occasionally over the last 15 years. He didn't prescribe any sterile water or sterile saline for me, so I plan to make some homemade sterile distilled water at home.

My main question is how to keep the irrigation syringe sterile. When I open a new package and use it, it needs to be sterilized if I want to use it again. There's no way I'm going to pay for enough irrigation kits to use one or two weekly! Is there an acceptable way to keep this clean for reuse?

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    I'm trying to work toward regularly irrigating my suprapubic catheter to keep it from blocking up with sediment. My urologist recommended as one of several potential solutions to my catheter blocking issue, and he has shown me the procedure a number of times. I have a number of irrigation kits at home from doing irrigations occasionally over the last 15 years. He didn't prescribe any sterile water or sterile saline for me, so I plan to make some homemade sterile distilled water at home.

My main question is how to keep the irrigation syringe sterile. When I open a new package and use it, it needs to be sterilized if I want to use it again. There's no way I'm going to pay for enough irrigation kits to use one or two weekly! Is there an acceptable way to keep this clean for reuse?
    Any thing you do to sterilize the syringe barrel and plunger with heat is going to damage the seal part of the plunger. Your homemade sterile water isn't going to remain sterile, even if you make it in 30cc to 50cc batches only, and then of course each batch would have to cool before you could use it. Once a pharmaceutical laboratory packaged sterile water bottle is opened, it doesn't remain sterile for long. In my opinion, Microcyn would be a better alternative to packaged or homemade sterile water.

Instead of just flushing the sediment out of the catheter, a better approach may be to try to eliminate sediment and encrustation with a drug like Renacidin. Renacidin is a prescription medication that would likely be covered by insurance, Medicare https://www.rxlist.com/renacidin-dru...cations_dosage

Renacidin is indicated for dissolution of bladder calculi of the struvite or apatite variety by local intermittent irrigation through a urethral catheter or cystostomy tube as an alternative or adjunct to surgical procedures.
    Renacidin is also indicated for use as an intermittent irrigating solution to prevent encrustations of indwelling urethral catheters and cystostomy tubes.

There have been a few discussions about Renacidin on Care Cure. Here are a couple:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?260696-Resolved-Catheter-Clogging&highlight=renacidin
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=renacidin

I've been avoiding doing regular irrigations for a while because I figured that I should be able to eliminate the sediment. I have had practically no issues with sediment in the first 13 years of my injured life, but it's been a constant struggle for the last 1.5 years. After struggling to get the sediment levels under control, trying to find other solutions.

I talked to my urologist about Renacidin, and they don't prescribe it. Is it really something that is still used?

Setting the topic of sterile water aside, I was really mainly interested in the sterility of the irrigation syringe. I have a sterilization unit for my CPAP that uses ozone to oxidize bacteria. Would that work? I'm cuurious whether most people who irrigate regularly use a brand-new syringe each time, attempt to reuse syringes by sterilizing, or reuse syringes without sterilization.

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    I talked to my urologist about Renacidin, and they don't prescribe it. Is it really something that is still used?
    The Care Cure Community Forum threads I posted are up to date as of 2017 and the recommendations to try Renacidin came from the SCI nurses. So I think it is safe to say that Renacidin is still being used in rehab settings around the United States. I believe that Renacidin was unavailable for a number of months due to production problems.

I irrigate my augmented bladder (which has a mitrofanof)f to reduce mucous twice a day. Afterwards I spray the inside and the tip of the syringe with microcyn and put it back into the sterile bag it came in until I use it again. After several uses I sterilize it in a sterilizer bag made for sterilizing baby bottles in the microwave. When they get a little out of shape I throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    I irrigate my augmented bladder (which has a mitrofanof)f to reduce mucous twice a day. Afterwards I spray the inside and the tip of the syringe with microcyn and put it back into the sterile bag it came in until I use it again. After several uses I sterilize it in a sterilizer bag made for sterilizing baby bottles in the microwave. When they get a little out of shape I throw them away.
    That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks! I'm well aware that every quad is different too.

Side note- Microcyn is pretty expensive but I instill it through the same syringe at night to reduce bacteria and I don't have any trouble with it causing diarrhea or anything so I'm already buying it and using it in the same syringe.