Thread: Rigid Wheelchair choices (Brands (tilite, KI), models etc)

Rigid Wheelchair choices (Brands (tilite, KI), models etc)

So, I had a KI mobility Rogue on order. After a few mishaps (their order mistakes, wrong front frame angle) and the dme not confirming with me and ordering the chair on their terms without my approval or signature and they not wanting to own up to their mistakes my PT and OT decided to block the order and we are going with another supplier (dme).

So I have another chance of either going with another KI mobility rogue or a tilite chair or anything in between.

I was looking to stay in the same price range that the Rogue was being ordered at since that is what my private insurance approved for.

for upgrades, I had, Natural fit hand rims, Invacare Matrx back cushion, anti tippers, calf strap, anti roll backs, pneumatic tires with airless inserts, crutch holder, adjustable angle foot plate, swing away arm rests, solid seat base.

Grand total was around $6500

What should I go with any suggestions?

I was looking into the ZR and TR series chairs

If I go with tilite chair I was mostly looking into go with a mono tube frame unless I get persuaded otherwise.

Any input on rigid chairs is greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance.

You could also look at Colors chairs. I've not heard anything bad about them except their weird names.
    Mike Box chairs are all custom, all welded. So you need to know exactly what you want.
    There is Motion concepts, a carbon fiber chair.. I think they are now making a rigid chair. And Panthera is also a carbon fiber chair.
    Eagle sports chairs use to make a nice light street chair. A buddy of mine has had the same one for over 20 years and won't trade it for anything.

Will this be your first chair? If not, what have/are you in now?

(PS: I'm a Tiite fan.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

A friend of mine loves his Ki rogue chair and has nothing but good things to say about the chair itself, but he too said he experienced some frustrations with getting his chair in a timely fashion and getting it as he ordered it.

I personally have a ZR and TR3 and both have been great, I personally prefer the dual tube frame as it feels a little tighter and more responsive; however the ZR is a great chair too.

I have used the Apex CF chair by motion composites many times and it is a great lightweight chair too and the company is fantastic to deal with, I will offer the disclaimer that I know many of the folks and the CEO fairly well.

Lasher and box chairs look really simple, clean and slick and I have heard lots of great things but haven't had the opportunity to abuse either of them but I am sure others can offer some valuable insight on those.

I am not a fan of the quickie chairs as I have broken the Q7 series way too many times to have faith in the build quality and i have found sunrise not receptive or easy to deal with but again you may have different experiences.

I am a huge fan of the Tilite chairs as I find they hold up better than others, the company has gone through some substantial changes recently and as far as I understand, are no longer owned or managed by permobile (which is likely a good thing).

Good luck and let us know (with pics of the new ride).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post

I am a huge fan of the Tilite chairs as I find they hold up better than others, the company has gone through some substantial changes recently and as far as I understand, are no longer owned or managed by permobile (which is likely a good thing).
    Is this true? The website still has TiLite under Permobil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Is this true? The website still has TiLite under Permobil.
    I have heard that Tilite was not performing well under the Permobile banner and as such was sold. This may not have been the case OR, there is a transition period under the contract to carry the Permobile banner for a period of time. The other possibility is that I was misinformed.

I do know or have heard (anecdotally) that many chair users were not overly pleased with Tilite post Permobile but now things have improved substantially.

I have no idea why they switched the bolts/screws over to metric from standard, anyone have any insight on that one?!

Let me put this one to rest. TiLite is a Permobil company. It was acquired by Permobil in 2014. As it has throughout its history, TiLite operates from Pasco, Washington. Not my role here to comment on TiLite's past performance, but I will let this group know that they have added some great people in leadership positions who have been making changes within the company to better serve their customers.

http://permobilus.com/products/manua...irs-by-tilite/

Thanks all!

Tom Borcherding
    Permobil Seating and Positioning / ROHO Inc.

DELETED - eh, my reading comprehension wasn't great when I wrote it.
    Last edited by brian; 03-09-2018 at 05:17 PM.