Thread: Vein

Vein

Went to the doctor for this vein under my armpit and he brushed it off like it was nothing. I'm freaking out because I don't want it to be a blood clot or something. Sometimes I feel like these doctors don't care about anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks kike a bruise or some irritation. Usually the blood clots were worry about are the ones inside and bigger. Not clots in the veins in the skin.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Irritation, rub from clothing???

Any equipment you use or is used on you - such as a lift sling?
    How about asking doctor when it should clear up, if dr. may think it's nothing. Wouldn't hurt to call the doctor and ask even though they saw it.

Is it strange that it goes with the vein though or is irritation or bruising normally do that?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It looks kike a bruise or some irritation. Usually the blood clots were worry about are the ones inside and bigger. Not clots in the veins in the skin.
    CWO

It does look like a skin shear abrasion, and a lift sling (per triumph's post) could have done it because there's a top and a bottom to the abrasion, with an undamaged area in-between - the lower abrasion is larger, which would be expected with a drag injury. It's not surprising that the course of a vein is followed, withs bleeding beneath the skin - subsidiary capillaries would have been involved. Doubt there's anything to worry about.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I thought it could be an abrasion but the vein was like a spider vein at first and then suddenly got red everywhere just a couple days ago. Maybe I laid on it wrong. It doesn't blanch so that is what really worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    It does look like a skin shear abrasion, and a lift sling (per triumph's post) could have done it because there's a top and a bottom to the abrasion, with an undamaged area in-between - the lower abrasion is larger, which would be expected with a drag injury. It's not surprising that the course of a vein is followed, withs bleeding beneath the skin - subsidiary capillaries would have been involved. Doubt there's anything to worry about.

You can have inflammation of superficial veins (not deep vessels, but the ones you can see beneath the skin), without there being any risk of clotting. This is called superficial phlebitis, and if it's painful warm compresses can help. The appearance of spider veins is one presentation.

I have had upper extremity superficial phlebitis a number of times from IVs, and once from a dull electric razor that chewed my skin - always, my doctors told me that there was no risk to life. Deep veins in the legs are another story (as the nurse says).

This is troubling you, though, so I think triumph has a good suggestion - give the doctor's office a call and explain your concerns. It's always more reassuring to hear what your own doctor has to say than to listen to anecdotal stories like mine.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions