Thread: Quantum Edge 2.0 airline prep advice please

Quantum Edge 2.0 airline prep advice please

We are flying to Panama Friday on United. We have not had good luck with United in the past and are hoping to reduce or eliminate problems on this trip. We remove the seat cushion and after reading here will remove the headrest. Is there any way to disable the joystick without getting into the wiring? This chair doesn?t just unplug. Also we are going to put a laminated ?sign? where the seat cushion would be - English and Spanish? But what should it say? Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickib View Post
    We are flying to Panama Friday on United. We have not had good luck with United in the past and are hoping to reduce or eliminate problems on this trip. We remove the seat cushion and after reading here will remove the headrest. Is there any way to disable the joystick without getting into the wiring? This chair doesn?t just unplug. Also we are going to put a laminated ?sign? where the seat cushion would be - English and Spanish? But what should it say? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Please dont start taking apart your chair because you risk more chance of damage and do not use signs..communicate with the people that are going to be working with your chair.

Give yourself extra time and dont rush...when you get to the ticket counter ask for the ramp supervisor and dont let them push someone else on you United can be a challenge on this request.

This is the one person that will over see the team that is going to transfer and load your chair.

Show him or her how your chair works, free wheels etc. If your seat folds forward show them that also.

Explain to them that you need the instructions sent also to the arriving airports and to make sure the instructions are relayed in Spanish to panama too.

Make sure when you land you check out your chair and if any damage report it to the baggage group as the flight starts in US you are covered baggage handlers ADA coverage.

If you have a layover I would have them bring your chair to you while your waiting if its longer then an hour delay.

Some pride chairs can have the joystick armrest removed and lay on the seat cushion bottom which sometimes keeps in from getting banged around.

Message me if you need more help or direction and have fun!

Its old we need to update but gives you an idea what to expect and do..

I also ask to speak with the ramp supervisor and discuss the "dos" and "dont's" of handling the chair (where to lift, how to lock/unlock the chair, where not to strap chair if using straps). I do label where to lock/unlock the chair for the arrival crew, but to be honest, who knows if they read them. It's more for my peace of mind. I have a Permobil F3, so the only thing I do is remove my Roho, swing the joystick in (removing the goalpost), and flip the foot pedals up. I also flip the circuit breaker, because I do not want them operating the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I also ask to speak with the ramp supervisor and discuss the "dos" and "dont's" of handling the chair (where to lift, how to lock/unlock the chair, where not to strap chair if using straps). I do label where to lock/unlock the chair for the arrival crew, but to be honest, who knows if they read them. It's more for my peace of mind. I have a Permobil F3, so the only thing I do is remove my Roho, swing the joystick in (removing the goalpost), and flip the foot pedals up. I also flip the circuit breaker, because I do not want them operating the chair.

Landrover we are both very lucky because Permobils joystick rotates in and make is a lot more easy to have it protected on the inside of the armrest while traveling!