Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My never ending UTI problem

Angry My never ending UTI problem

This is probably the third time I post a thread of my recurrent UTI.
    Been to the rehabilitation center for one month, they did a urodynamics and said i had a neurogenic bladder that could be treated with Vesicare 20mg twice daily easily.

As for the infection they checked my Urine Culture and prescribed 5 days of Ciproxin twice daily.
    2 days after i finished the cure the leakage and pain started once again so they ran another urine culture.

This time they said i should take Augmentin twice daily for 13 days and so i did. My state started getting better but as soon as i finished the problems started all over. Now im 4 days off the antibiotics and have leaked all day with crazy spasms and abdominal contractions.
    Tomorrow im going to do another culture to see whats showed up this time. Most of the time it has been something like Coli but hasnt made any difference for me.

Dont know if my doctors are useless or my case is smth strange but i think there should be a cure.
    Cant go on like this

Have your doctors tested for bladder stones?

Here are imaging tests that your doctors should consider:

• Computerized tomography (CT). CT uses X-rays and computers to quickly scan and provide clear images of the inside of your body. CT can detect even very small stones and is considered one of the most sensitive tests for identifying all types of bladder stones.
    • Ultrasound. An ultrasound, which bounces sound waves off organs and structures in your body to create pictures, can help your doctor detect bladder stones.
    • X-ray. An X-ray of your kidneys, ureters and bladder helps your doctor determine whether stones are present in your urinary system. But some types of stones aren't visible on conventional X-rays.

I have done something like this where they put contrast in my veins and did a 30 min scanner on my abdominal.

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    I have done something like this where they put contrast in my veins and did a 30 min scanner on my abdominal.
    So they didn't find stones?

How do you manage your bladder?

There is a thread running concurrently with yours dealing with the very same difficulties you are having. I have written a long post there. See: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...rated-and-lost

They didnt find stones. I do intermittent catheterisations.
    Try to keep it 4x daily now 7/13/19/1. With the infection actualy one or two more.
    The thread was similar with mine for real but didnt find any useful tip.

Today talked with the medic that is following and she suggested i use Monuril to disinfect the bladder for 2 days at night to save some time until the culture analyse shows up.

They didnt find stones. I do intermittent catheterisations.
    Try to keep it 4x daily now 7/13/19/1. With the infection actualy one or two more.
    The thread was similar with mine for real but didnt find any useful tip.

Today talked with the medic that is following and she suggested i use Monuril to disinfect the bladder for 2 days at night to save some time until the culture analyse shows up.
    There may be some value to asking you physician about daily Gentamicin washes. Many here have found them to be very helpful.
    Gentamicin threads on Care Cure Community:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=gentamicin

Do you reuse your catheters or do you use a new one each time? In the United States most insurance companies pay for 200 intermittent catheters per month and we don't reuse catheters like we did, even just 5 years ago.

How much urine do you get out of your bladder with each cath? If you have volumes over 500 ml with each cath, you need to cath more often to keep volumes in the bladder lower between caths. Six caths a day may be better for your bladder health.

Reviewing your technique for cathing may help to make sure your are using as clean a technique as possible.

Consider seeing an infectious disease doctor. I find that doctors in this specialty are more adept at prescribing antibiotics than others.

Went for another visit and the head doctor told me that this was my destiny. Somehow he said that every paraplegic that does intermittent catheterisation has some kind of infection , mostly E.Coli.
    Unless you have fever there is no need to go on antibiotics, he said.
    So he advised that i use urocondoms and cath 4 times a day. Also im trying to look for cranberry juice and other intergators that might help in recovery.

Went for another visit and the head doctor told me that this was my destiny. Somehow he said that every paraplegic that does intermittent catheterisation has some kind of infection , mostly E.Coli.
    Unless you have fever there is no need to go on antibiotics, he said.
    So he advised that i use urocondoms and cath 4 times a day. Also im trying to look for cranberry juice and other intergators that might help in recovery.
    I don't exactly agree with your doctor. It is not your fate to have frequent and recurring urinary tract infections. I also don't agree with him that you must have a fever to treat a urinary tract infection.

Because you cath 4-6 times a day, there is a possibility of introducing bacteria. Your bladder/urine may become colonized and not cause symptoms of a urinary tract infection and you don't have to treat colonization. But, you can mitigate your chances for infection by using a new catheter every time you cath and by observing the cleanest technique, thorough hand washing, cleaning the meatus with soap and water and an antiseptic like povidone, and making sure you are not contaminating the catheter as you prepare for catheterization.

During 35 years of living with a spinal cord injury, I have had my share of urinary tract infections. I have used condom catheters, intermittent catheterization and now a supra pubic catheter. I have not once had a fever with a urinary tract infection. At the onset of a urinary tract infection, I have severe autonomic dysreflexia. I sweat profusely, shake uncontrollably, feel very cold and generally awful. You decide whether to treat a urinary tract infection based upon the bacteria count found in the urine during a urinalysis (UA). When we present with symptoms of a urinary tract infection, a UA and culture & sensitivity (C&S) should be done in the lab. Our urinary tract infections are considered complex and generally should be treated at a lower bacteria count than someone without bladder impairment and the treatment should be a longer course of antibiotics than in simple urinary tract infections.

Today, most rehabilitation centers in the United States do no start newly injured patients out on condom catheters. The preferred bladder management is intermittent catheterization. If you are going back to condom catheterization you need to be aware of the volume of urine your bladder can retain after you urinate. Any urine remaining in the bladder becomes the breeding ground for bacteria and your next infection. I understand you are going to be cathing four times a day (keep in mind 4-6 times a day is a typical intermittent catheter program anyway...I don't know what you are gaining by going back to a condom catheter and 4 intermittent caths per day) Be mindful that you can not cath through a condom catheter. The condom catheter must be removed before you do an intermittent cath, otherwise there is a very good possibility of contamination of the catheter and the introduction of bacteria into the bladder.

Your best natural method of trying to avoid urinary tract infections is to drink appropriate quantities of fluids (not copious amounts of water), mostly water, eat a healthy diet, and develop good sleep habits, in other words a healthy lifestyle. There is some evidence that d-manose can help to minimize infection from e. coli (not any other bacteria), but it isn't completely or always the answer.

About this time, I would suggest Microcyn instillations, but I suppose the availability of it may be difficult in Albania.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

Another approach may be Gentamicin washes as discussed here (gentamicin would need to be prescribed by your doctor):
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-12-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Hi Gjnl .
    Thanks for your information it is higly valued.
    Currently im using condom catheters as a precaution between catheterisations since 6 hours are a long time. Most of the times I void 100 to 150 when im full and there is no more than 300 left inside.
    Bottom line , as soon as I go to 300/350 I start urinating but I cant manage to empty it all because when it reduced to 300 the feeling of urinating goes away.
    Im using single use Coloplast Speedicath 12ch . try to keep it at no more than 4 times a day.

Ive been living in Italy for 1 year. No more suffering in Albania....
    Doctors are better, catheters and other accesories are all given by the government but still this infection doesnt seem to go away easy.

Hi Gjnl .
    Thanks for your information it is higly valued.
    Currently im using condom catheters as a precaution between catheterisations since 6 hours are a long time. Most of the times I void 100 to 150 when im full and there is no more than 300 left inside.
    Bottom line , as soon as I go to 300/350 I start urinating but I cant manage to empty it all because when it reduced to 300 the feeling of urinating goes away.
    Im using single use Coloplast Speedicath 12ch . try to keep it at no more than 4 times a day.

Ive been living in Italy for 1 year. No more suffering in Albania....
    Doctors are better, catheters and other accesories are all given by the government but still this infection doesnt seem to go away easy.