Thread: T-4 para for 15 years need total shoulder rdplacement. Advice?

T-4 para for 15 years need total shoulder rdplacement. Advice?

I was told 5 yrs ago by orthopedic surgeon that i need a total shoulder replacement. Im hoping to hear from other folks with similar SCI who have been through this.

Hello Dale,
    I was involved six months ago in the Lipo gem clinical trials for bad shoulders at Kessler in West Orange , N.J. I needed surgery on my right shoulder and did this trial. They take fat cells from your body and inject them in the injury site. It is remarkable the shoulder in six months is like new. I am bench pressing and doing shoulder presses with weights I haven't used in a few years. Their was six in the trial and all are doing great. I had surgery on my left shoulder for rotor cuff tears and was laid up for quite a few months. This procedure is truly amazing and priceless. It will eliminate surgeries all together for knees and shoulders. Check out the procedure on Youtube. Dr. Malanga did the procedure . The trial was conducted by Dr. Trevor Hudson. Here is his info. if you want to email him. Trevor Dyson-Hudson, M.D. <tdysonhudson@kesslerfoundation.org. I would give this a shot if you can. About a four hour procedure and you will be wheeling out of the clinic. I was sore for about three to four days and it healed really fast. Wish you well and hope this helps. Best Regards, Joe

Thank you Joe,
    I will certainly look into this procedure in greater depth. Im surprised ive never heard of it because I am a PT ( but I only teach neuro). I will ask my colleage who is the ortho guru. Im sure she will have heard of it and has followed the research.
    In my case, the X-ray they did 5 years ago showed that 1/2 of the normally concave glenoid fossa on my scapula was worn away- basically, bone on bone- so i am skeptical, but certainly open to checking it out. A 4 hr procedure with minimal side effects sounds WAY better than being immobilized, and totally dependent for everything for 3 to 6 weeks.
    Thanks again.
    Sincerely,
    Dale

I am in the same boat fifteen years as a C 6/7 incomplete and function at about a T 6 level and have been using a manual chair for the entire time. I need a total shoulder replacement and will be having a reverse shoulder replacement as soon as I can get a small pressure sore fixed. I am wondering about so many things like continuing to do my own bowel program and intermittent cathing, turning over in bed to help prevent future skin issues.

I know that I am going to go for a Foley catheter until I can start to cath myself again. I am tossing around the possibility of a colostomy but my bowel routine has never been an issue and I am lucky that I have very good control over my bowels. I know it sounds vain but the thought of a bag hanging off my side for the rest of my life is just not that appealing to me. I know that they can be reversed but wonder if my insurance will pay for a reversal right after they have paid for the colostomy.

I am going to meet with my spinal cord doctor this week to try and get his opinion on what I need to do to make this event as easy as possible on myself and I my wife. So like yourself I am hoping to get some information from others here who have had to go down this slippery road.

Thanks for letting me high jack your thread

Nevada

Hello Dale,
    Here is the clinical trial identifier to check out: Their were six of us picked for the study , who had the most damage shoulders. Definitely a priceless procedure and eliminates surgery. Hope it can help you. I spoke to Dr. Trevor Hudson today and he said feel free to call him at Kessler if you have any questions. Wish you well.
    ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01355549

[QUOTE=nevada;1850999]I am in the same boat fifteen years as a C 6/7 incomplete and function at about a T 6 level and have been using a manual chair for the entire time. I need a total shoulder replacement and will be having a reverse shoulder replacement as soon as I can get a small pressure sore fixed. I am wondering about so many things like continuing to do my own bowel program and intermittent cathing, turning over in bed to help prevent future skin issues.

Just a comment from someone with left shoulder issues. Went through 8 weeks of home therapy, 4 times a week, and now have about 80% less pain. Continuing exercise twice a day to keep pain away, in addition to using Diclofenac gel, and ibuprofen and acetemenaphen. I'm not a candidate for surgery due to other issues but I have listened carefully to others in chairs who have had shoulder surgery. The after-surgery period in particular is difficult as they had arm mobilized for weeks and had a caretaker or stayed in rehab facility for several weeks, followed by PT.
    Hopefully you can speak personally to someone who has had this surgery, in addition to the help from CareCure.

You should look into this procedure. No down time but a couple days of soreness verses months of pain and suffering from surgery. I had surgery on my left shoulder and lipo gem injections on the right. the Lipo gem procedure is a miracle fix to eliminate surgery. Plus you will not have arthritis from this type of procedure verses surgery. Just a thought.