Thread: Use osmotic laxative (miralax) for a long period of time

Question Use osmotic laxative (miralax) for a long period of time

I've discovered Miralax to be awesome for keeping a regular soft stool, are there any side effects on using an osmotic laxative for a long period of time?

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    In Australia, osmotic laxatives are recommended for chronic use. They do not cause melanosis coli. GP put me on it.

I take 2 sachets of Movicol daily, divided day and night. Movicol is similar to Miralax. This also makes me drink at least 2 Litres of water as put one sachet in a Litre of water.

Oral stimulant laxatives are for short-term use only. Senna and Cascara (Rhamnus purshiana) cause melanosis coli and make your guts stop working. Bisacodyl is slightly better for long-term use.

Some people have had liver toxicity with Macrogol (PEG). If urine goes dark stop Macrogol (PEG). Magnesium sulfate is another osmotic laxative.
    Last edited by zagam; 03-03-2018 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Cascara can mean coffee fruit

If you have a neurogenic bowel using a laxative is a long term treatment for most spinal cord injured persons.
    Lower motor neuron injuries have flaccid bowels and need an oral fiber plus rectal stimulant to have routine BM results.
    upper motor neuron injuries have spastic bowels and need an oral softener to get the stool consistency smooth enough and/or stimulant to get the stool to move through the intestines.

When end I gather a history from patients these are the issues I focus on in order to determine what medications to recommend. Of course diet and water intake contribute to the formula.

that being said miralax works at drawing water in from the body to facilitate BM
    it is safe to use long term it doesn’t cause cramping like other products and you can vary the dosage to what works for you
    it is used in elderly people also
    it doesn’t work for everyone but it’s a good choice for people when docusate,bisacodyl or senna doesn’t work

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Actually way to manage the consistency of your stool and as made my bowel program much easier than before it was on the market.

Magnesium Citrate
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

MgSO4

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Magnesium Citrate
    http://www.trustgoldcross.com.au/pro...t-line?id=1177

Magnesium sulphate has TGA approval. Both Mg+2 and SO4-2 ions stay in gut and keep water.
    Last edited by zagam; 03-07-2018 at 06:33 AM. Reason: munted by editor