Thread: Epifix for chronic bilateral unhealing foot wounds

Epifix for chronic bilateral unhealing foot wounds

My foot wounds still have not healed. This started December 11th with blisters from my Allard ToeOff AFO's and cellulitis on the right. The wounds are relatively small but have not closed. The right is .5 by .5 by .1 cm deep and the left is about the same. Monday March 5th I am going to have bilateral allografts using Epifix placed in the wounds. Has anyone had this procedure done? Results? Needed more than one graft? I am really hoping this works. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Grafix used. So the product used was actually grafix. Has stem cells in it. The medical rep.was there so was nice to be able to ask questions. They think my right one should have good progress and may close within a week. My left may need another application. Staying on bed rest and off feet for the next few days. Then minimal.walking for the week. Really hoping these grafts do the trick.

STILL dealing with this! Unbelievable!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I had a very bad burn on the inside of my right ankle that was almost to the bone. It was 2"x4" and they used 6 epifix graphs, put a new one on once a week until it got built back up and it worked great! It did take quite awhile to heal though.

Several days in after the Grafix procedure I thought I got very sick. Fever, nausea, vomiting. Thought it was the flu but didn't really feel sick. By Fri afternoon I started to think possible infection. Saturday morning I went to wound clinic and had a check. They removed outer bandage but not the wound veil or steri strips, as not to disturb graft. It looked fine. By Monday morning I couldn't walk on left foot. Went in for check up. Soon as she removed Sheri strips she knew it was infected. Tissue black, foot swollen, red, very painful. She tried three times to numb it with no success. Very painful. Took culture swab and some tissue for culture. Left is now worse then when it started and incredibly painful. Right also had a graft. No improvement. Another graft placed, hoping it does something on that side. This is really difficult to deal with. Nothing is helping, nothing is making this better and now I am worse off.

So...still dealing with this. Spent some time in the hospital on IV antibiotics for infection. I have had several more grafts placed. The right side closed and is healing well. Today I was supposed to get another graft on left. Unfortunately its infected. Doctor is hoping its just a surface infection. Didn't want to put me on antibiotics yet, worried about my kidneys with the antibiotics I have been on. Was debrided and hydraferablue(sp) was placed on it. She said to watch it over weekend and Monday, as long as no infection, she plans on placing another graft and a snap wound vac. This is getting very difficult to deal with.

I know that this is difficult for you, but try to hang in there. Each n of us heals differently, so comparing yourself to others is not a good thing. It is helpful to know others experiences, but remember that you need to keep it in perspective.

Keep us posted.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

After another failed graft and infection, I had an MRI yesterday. The result came back suspicious for osteomyelitis. I am being scheduled for surgery for June 1. The plan is to deride and scrape down the bone along with a bone biopsy to determine if infection. There is some concern of the tendons in the area that will need to be cut, how this will affect my foot strength and balance. I have to admit, this one has me a bit scared. My ability to heal afterward, whether or not I will need antibiotics, and if will adversely affect my current ability to walk.

I know this is scary - I have gone through similar things with my husband. What I can tell you is that until they know what is going on with the bone, all of it is pure specualtion. It is the "what if's" that are scary - ask your surgeon what tendons may have to be cut and how this will effect your balance. The tendon's do not directly effect your strength - but do impact thhe ability of movement. Ask about that.

You will not know if you need antibioitics until you know what the cultures from the bone show. These can be done at home, once you have a line in. A lot better than staying in the hospital.

Try to write down all of your questions - the big ones and the not as big ones - so you can get them answered by your physician. It is hard to answer some of them, but he/she knows you better and all the nuances of your medical history than I do. The answers will be more tailored to your situation.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had surgery on Friday. The surgeon was shocked when she opened my foot. My bone was gray. This was very unexpected. All my blood work and X-rays had come back normal. She took the bone down as far as she felt comfortable and with minimal disruption to the tendon. She did a surgical debridement and removed the ulceration. She took two bone biopsies and then sutured it up. If the biopsies come back negative, I should be in the clear. If they come back positive she said I will need an extensive surgery. She will go in, detach the tendon, remove the bone, and reattach the tendon. It didn't sound like antibiotics are an option. 7-10 days before pathology will be back. Trying to deal with the pain and muscle spasms this has set off and hoping for the best.