Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Making a Weighted Blanket...any ideas?

  1. #1
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    931

    Making a Weighted Blanket...any ideas?

    I bought a weighted blanket from Gravid.ca and found it very hot.
    I thought of making a blanket with chains since the metal would pull heat from my body but the cost is too much for the work.

    Any ideas on what to use?
    Never Give Up!

  2. #2
    Why do you want the blanket? Sounds backwards: a blanket to keep you cool.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    I bought a weighted blanket from Gravid.ca and found it very hot.
    I thought of making a blanket with chains since the metal would pull heat from my body but the cost is too much for the work.

    Any ideas on what to use?
    What fabric is your weighted blanket? If it is a poly flannel, rayon or fleece it is going to be hot, while 100% cotton weighted blankets will be cooler. A number of companies make weighted blankets for summer use. There is a new fabric called CoolMax. NL sleeps on CoolMax sheets. They stay cool and wick away moisture.

    Fill may make a difference too. Poly pellets are probably warmer than fine river stone, glass bead, or steel shot fill. I think the chains you mentioned would be too lumpy.

    The other factor is actual blanket weight. The heavier the blanket the warmer it will probably be. You can select a blanket by weight (in pounds).

    There is a lot of information and options for weighted blankets on line, even DIY (do it yourself) kits or instructions.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Why do you want the blanket? Sounds backwards: a blanket to keep you cool.
    I want the blanket to keep me warm but not make me sweat.
    Never Give Up!

  5. #5
    Another approach is a low-voltage heated mattress pad (works with a regular, hospital or adjustable bed). Heat from underneath is more adjustable and less likely to take the heat past what you can handle. Also, you can place it either under the top sheet or under your overlay/topper, if applicable.

  6. #6
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by renard View Post
    Another approach is a low-voltage heated mattress pad (works with a regular, hospital or adjustable bed). Heat from underneath is more adjustable and less likely to take the heat past what you can handle. Also, you can place it either under the top sheet or under your overlay/topper, if applicable.
    Thank you for your reply Renard. I want to make a weighted blanket with no heat source. A new idea that came to mind, was using chain maille.
    Never Give Up!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    An island in the middle of the Pacific
    Posts
    46
    Forgive my lack of knowledge - but am I right to understand that you're after the tactile 'weight' but you don't want too much thermal trapping?

  8. #8
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Bruce View Post
    Forgive my lack of knowledge - but am I right to understand that you're after the tactile 'weight' but you don't want too much thermal trapping?
    Exactly! I want the weight without the warmth. My latest idea was buying a sheet of chain mail.
    Never Give Up!

Similar Threads

  1. Exercise in a Weighted Vest
    By tomsonite in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 05:32 AM
  2. Legs feel weighted down...
    By Wheelieboy in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
  3. Helping ideas for making life easier.
    By Sfajt in forum Life
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •