Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick release axle stuck

quick release axle stuck

I use a Top End Crossfire T6 chair. Had a flat tire a day ago and could not get the wheel off. Took it to the bike shop and they failed to get the wheel off but changed the tube with wheel still on. Brought chair home and called Top End where a rep was quite helpful. He suggested loosening large nut against camber bar saying this might loosen the axle a little - no luck. I have the chair laying on it's side in garage. I depressed axle button and squeezed in a large amount of penetrating oil hoping it would run down the axle, I also oiled right by the camber bar. No luck so far. I also used the butt of a screwdriver to rap forcefully depressing quick release button repeatedly, also tried gently prying between wheel hub and camber bar while depressing quick release button. Any Ideas??

I use a van so I don't take wheels off much. I don't think I had them off all winter. I shovel snow and salt driveway. The other wheel comes off easily and is well lubricated. I can use chair like this but would not be able to disassemble if I needed to get in a car. I am going to upgrade my backup T6 to post position if this problem can't be solved.

Any ideas appreciated

Perth, Western Australia
    I had that happen on an old chair that I bought for parts. It was a folder, so it was easy to work out that the little ball bearings were seized in place (ie they stuck out, even when the axle button was depressed). Again, because it was a folder I could reach the ball bearings and lubricate them and push them in to fix the problem.

In your case, how about putting the chair on it?s side (stuck wheel on the ground), removing the other wheel, then spraying lubricant down the axle/camber bar towards the stuck wheel? That?s the only way I can think of getting the lubricant to where it needs to be.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
    If you can get the other wheel off, maybe try taking the entire axle tube off, remove the spacer/camber plug nut and pour some lubricant down the axel onto the portion you are more than likely seized up at (the little bearings on the axle pin- one is likely rusted into the pin and not releasing the axel). You can also try using a long rod to slide into the axle tube from the other side and (gently) tap on the inside portion of the quick release pin to help rattle the thing free.

Salt, sand and general winter conditions are a real nightmare for our wheelchairs, I have had a similar issue with the bearing seizing up on the caster fork assembly where it would still turn but was next to impossible to pull the bearing off the shaft, I had to carefully cut it off with a grinder.

Good luck.

Remove the axle receiver from the camber tube completely so you can get at the ball bearing. Penetrating oil and squeeze the ball in with pliers to free it up.!-grrr/page2

Thanks for the suggestions. I did turn chair over so that stuck wheel is on garage floor. Removed other wheel and squeezed the remaining 1/3 of a can of penetrating oil down the camber tube hoping that it will coat the axle tip and free the bearings. Also followed this up with liberal spraying of WD-40 down the camber tube. I now have a small pool of oil on the garage floor seeming to indicate the oil must have reached the bearings on the axle.

After reading Pat's suggestion I noted that the threaded axle housing is flat on 2 sides so I should be able to back out this threaded housing if I can reach it with the wheel still on. I assume then I will be able to examine the stuck bearings and work on them. I will wait to do this until I see if the penetrating oil and WD-40 have worked to free the bearings.

I have had this happen. The axle gets dirt and damp and won't come out. Took me forever to beat it out with a hammer and screw driver using oil to lubricate the axle but it finally came out. I always make sure to grease the axles twice a year now so they so don't seize up like this. Best bet is to use the penetrating oil and hope it loosens it up some.

A lubricant helps to keep moving parts moving freely. It doesn't loosen parts stuck in place due to corrosion. What you need is an anti-corrosive spray to loosen the corrosion. You can also try a combination of heat and and cold to expand and contract that parts in addition to the anti-corrosive spray. It's easy enough to apply a heat pack to the camber bar to get it to expand. Applying cold to the axle to get it to contract is going to be tricky. Seeing that you live in Michigan, maybe leave the chair out in the cold overnight, then in the morning apply heat to the camber bar. That way, the axle will be cold while the camber bar will be hot.
    Last edited by August West; 02-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Remove the axle receiver from the camber tube completely so you can get at the ball bearing. Penetrating oil and squeeze the ball in with pliers to free it up.!-grrr/page2
    I was unsuccessful with flooding the camber bar from the other side with penetrating oil and WD-40. Still locked up tight.

Pat, I think your idea involved 1st loosening the big axle nut then backing out the threaded axle tube from camber bar so that the housing was completely removed and the bearings at the end of the axle revealed. I saw that toward the end of the threaded axle tube 2 sides were flattened. I tried with vice grips to loosen the threaded axle tube but it didn't budge. I think I will either bring it to the bike shop again and describe what I want or work with a DME I know who has great mechanical skills and travels to work with customers every Wednesday. Am I accurately describing what you suggested?

August, will keep your idea on back burner in case this fails.

Will the axle turn? Not just the adjusting nut. Can you get the adjusting nut off (have to be small button axle) then you could slide the wheel off the pin. If not loosen the axle nut as much as possible and knock the axle in (use a rubber hammer). Pull it back and forth. Might lossen things. I'd take it to a car mechanic, if you need to take out the insert. He should have a big wrench to turn the insert.

NW NJ ***********T12 cmplt since 95
    worst case, you might remove the nut (after unscrewing the release button if it covers the nut) and push the damn thing into the camber tube and just get another axle!
    I know those nuts are thin elastic stop-nuts. You will probably need try to camber the wheel, (Like, try pulling the tires together) which will cause the axle to drag in the big axle nut so you can unscrew it; otherwise it will spin freely. If that fails, an impact gun, in spurts, while cambering the wheel should get it off.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ