Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airline Recommendation

Airline Recommendation

Hi travelers

I'm flying to Colorado (Denver International) from Newark Airport, in June.

What airline do you recommend?

Thanks

Southwest. You can get into the first section without using their isle chair. You can wheel directly to your seat from your wheelchair. In all other airlines you have to be in business class to wheel to your seat. Otherwise, economy seats requires that you use their isle chair. I hate that thing. They never know how to use it. The transfer is difficult and in the winter it's stone cold.

The exception is the 757 airplane where they may board from the middle of the airplane rather than from the front of the plane. In that case, you can wheel directly to a bulkhead seat in economy. But it's optional so don't count on it. They may board from the front.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    They're all good. Just go with the cheapest. Nonstop if possible; that's more important to me than price. You won't have to pay for checked bags that have only medical stuff in them (or never on SW). I usually insist that it's all medical, or at least one bag.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Southwest. You can get into the first section without using their isle chair. You can wheel directly to your seat from your wheelchair. In all other airlines you have to be in business class to wheel to your seat. Otherwise, economy seats requires that you use their isle chair. I hate that thing. They never know how to use it. The transfer is difficult and in the winter it's stone cold.

The exception is the 757 airplane where they may board from the middle of the airplane rather than from the front of the plane. In that case, you can wheel directly to a bulkhead seat in economy. But it's optional so don't count on it. They may board from the front.

Agree with Southwest over United.
    We've never been given the option of wheeling on-board though. Might be the type of planes they fly in and out of Houston.
    Once, a guy in the A1 – A15 boarding group line made a snide comment about "special privileges". The SW employees shut him down.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Agree with Southwest over United.
    We've never been given the option of wheeling on-board though.
    Southewest is all 737. Most domestic flights use 737s. 757s are used for longer/more populated flights by airlines other than SW.

You have to tell SW that you can get into the first section of seats directly from your wheelchair. They won't assume it or offer it otherwise.

Southewest is all 737. Most domestic flights use 737s. 757s are used for longer/more populated flights by airlines other than SW.

You have to tell SW that you can get into the first section of seats directly from your wheelchair. They won't assume it or offer it otherwise.
    I have heard read good things about Southwest on this forum. Next time someone flies please post a picture of what it looks like to board in your wheelchair
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I have heard read good things about Southwest on this forum. Next time someone flies please post a picture of what it looks like to board in your wheelchair
    You board first in what is called an aisle chair. You get off last on another aisle chair. Your manual chair can be stored in the belly of the plane unless you can convince them to store it upfront. Two airport assistants usually help me board and deboard. I fly 4-6 times a year, mostly with Delta. I've flown into Denver from Minneapolis on Delta twice.

Seat 1D does not require an aisle chair. You can access seat 1D with a 24" wide manual wheelchair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Seat 1D does not require an aisle chair. You can access seat 1D with a 24" wide manual wheelchair.
    Thats dope, thanks for the pic
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Avoid United.