Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The ADA needs to do something about this!

Can you share the hotel name?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Here is a good resource for the issues around transient lodging bed accessibility. It includes the information that California requires at least 7" clearance under the bed (for use of a lift) through their more stringent building codes that pre-date the ADA:

https://dredf.org/public-policy/dred...leeping-rooms/

(KLD)
    Awesome! Thanks! It doesn't sound to hard. Why wouldn't they do something like California?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Can you share the hotel name?
    I will at a later time. We are building our case against them for reimbursement.

Based upon my travel to California and contact with various hotels, they do not seem to adhere to this.
    Did you report them?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Thanks for info. I have not.

Even if they were to move all the furniture there still wouldn't have been enough room to get me into the Hoyer and into the roll-away bed. In a ADA room there is supposed to be 30in on all sides of the bed. There wasn't.
    Actually, not on all sides. Sides and foot, not the head of the bed. So are you going to file a DOJ complaint against this hotel? Best to do it now before the current administration passes HR620 (passed by House, not yet by the Senate) that will gut the ADA and require that businesses have another 6 months to comply with regulations before action will be taken on complaints of violations of a law which went into effect in 1991!!! Hotels and other businesses get away with this because people don't file complaints for violations.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Did you report them?
    I did not. At that time my focus was on finalizing my travel plans.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Actually, not on all sides. Sides and foot, not the head of the bed. So are you going to file a DOJ complaint against this hotel? Best to do it now before the current administration passes HR620 (passed by House, not yet by the Senate) that will gut the ADA and require that businesses have another 6 months to comply with regulations before action will be taken on complaints of violations of a law which went into effect in 1991!!! Hotels and other businesses get away with this because people don't file complaints for violations.

(KLD)
    Sorry I wasn't thinking about the head of the bed. I believe we will.

I did not. At that time my focus was on finalizing my travel plans.
    I hear you there. I usually spend hours online trying to get everything we need set up for a trip.

What I don't understand is for under $100 you can have an adjustable king size frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I saw online that in California the beds in hotels must have atleast 7in of clearance. Can anyone confirm this?
    Probably true for new construction and substantial remodel. Might not apply to all of those HC rooms though.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.