Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The ADA needs to do something about this!

I saw online that in California the beds in hotels must have atleast 7in of clearance. Can anyone confirm this?

I’ve read that before, but if it’s enforced is another story.

(a) General rule

''No individual shall be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation.''

How am considered equal if I can't get into my bed?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Yes I know the ADA is a law. Thanks!

So what idiots make up the ADA regulations again?
    The Access Board: https://www.access-board.gov/ You are certainly free to contact them and complain. All their regulations must be posted for public comment as well. Have you ever given public comment for these?

Did you see my second picture? Where was a roll-away bed going to fit? The bed was attached to the wall. I couldn't even move around in the room.
    Yes, we have requested/demanded that excess furniture be removed before, both in hotels and on cruise ships.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

''Why are the California Building Standards Code (Title 24) requirements more stringent than the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements?

The regulations in California were developed by the Division of the State Architect, Access Compliance, eight years before the United States Congress passed the ADA. The current California Building Standards Code was written to provide a single code which would meet all of the most stringent requirements of the original California Building Standards Code, as well as the 1991 Federal Fair Housing Amendments Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines.''

Sounds easy enough!

Just curious, did the room resembling picture 1 actually exist? Or did they do reno?s?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The Access Board: https://www.access-board.gov/ You are certainly free to contact them and complain. All their regulations must be posted for public comment as well. Have you ever given public comment for these?

Yes, we have requested/demanded that excess furniture be removed before, both in hotels and on cruise ships.

(KLD)
    Thanks for info. I have not.

Even if they were to move all the furniture there still wouldn't have been enough room to get me into the Hoyer and into the roll-away bed. In a ADA room there is supposed to be 30in on all sides of the bed. There wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I saw online that in California the beds in hotels must have atleast 7in of clearance. Can anyone confirm this?
    Here is a good resource for the issues around transient lodging bed accessibility. It includes the information that California requires at least 7" clearance under the bed (for use of a lift) through their more stringent building codes that pre-date the ADA:

https://dredf.org/public-policy/dred...leeping-rooms/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Just curious, did the room resembling picture 1 actually exist? Or did they do reno?s?
    From what they told us it didn't exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Here is a good resource for the issues around lodging bed accessibility. It includes the information that California requires at least 7" clearance under the bed (for use of a lift) through their more stringent building codes that pre-date the ADA:

https://dredf.org/public-policy/dred...leeping-rooms/

(KLD)
    Based upon my travel to California and contact with various hotels, they do not seem to adhere to this.