Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The ADA needs to do something about this!

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Unfortunately you're making the assumption that these large hotel chains even care. Probably the instances of hotel guests having issues with the beds are so low that it doesn't even cross their radar, as sad as that is.
    No assumption here. I know they don't care. The reason why they don't care is they don't have anyone in our situation. It's very sad.

Until it hurts their bottom line, they will continue not to care IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    So frustrating to read these posts! Hubby and I stopped traveling years ago when those high beds started to be everywhere.
    IMO, at least high end motel/hotels should at least have a power hospital bed in their storage rooms, or rent one if you want it. (As mentioned by a CC member who travels). However, some of those beds may not accommodate the use of a Hoyer type lift, if needed.

Had recent discussion with friends and we wondered if older motels would not have had the funds to change to the high beds. For instance, motels located in small towns within half hour of the tourist locations.
    But to stop traveling doesn't fix the problem.. you just need to address ones needs with each visit.

Reward the hotels that help and honor your needs and call out and work with the ones that dont help.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    No assumption here. I know they don't care. The reason why they don't care is they don't have anyone in our situation. It's very sad.
    I am so lost...did you tell the GM you needed 5" of clearing? Because I have worked with you on past trips and I didnt know that?

I don't use a lift but I thought a frame bed was good enough.

Also to send him or her a picture of your lift at work under say the last successful hotel stay gives them a visual of what you need.

I say this over and over assume you are the 1st person with a disability to work with this hotel and be very specific on your needs.

Do not trust hotel websites whatsoever with the pictures as its a know fact what is on the website is made to look better than real life.

Furniture, views, amenities etc..

We are working with a hotel in NYC now and we have the room blocked and prior to arriving the furniture we don't need will be removed.

Have never had a hotel refuse to have housekeeping move furniture once we got there too.

Is it a franchise hotel have you talked to the corporate office?

Last dont be affraid to ask a hotel for a disount!

When we are narrowing down a hotel and say we have 2 or 3 and have a great experience at one but the rate went up from last time ask them because you had a great time but the rate went up can they offer you a discount to make it cost effective to stay.

There are 100's of discounts only inhouse employees can offer plus at the time of check in as again because people assume the rate they have is the best and its really not.

We have saved $100's of dollars a night rechecking ratese the night before and or asking for additional discounts or free upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    I am so lost...did you tell the GM you needed 5" of clearing? Because I have worked with you on past trips and I didnt know that?

I don't use a lift but I thought a frame bed was good enough.

Also to send him or her a picture of your lift at work under say the last successful hotel stay gives them a visual of what you need.

I say this over and over assume you are the 1st person with a disability to work with this hotel and be very specific on your needs.

Do not trust hotel websites whatsoever with the pictures as its a know fact what is on the website is made to look better than real life.

Furniture, views, amenities etc..

We are working with a hotel in NYC now and we have the room blocked and prior to arriving the furniture we don't need will be removed.

Have never had a hotel refuse to have housekeeping move furniture once we got there too.

Is it a franchise hotel have you talked to the corporate office?

Last dont be affraid to ask a hotel for a disount!

When we are narrowing down a hotel and say we have 2 or 3 and have a great experience at one but the rate went up from last time ask them because you had a great time but the rate went up can they offer you a discount to make it cost effective to stay.

There are 100's of discounts only inhouse employees can offer plus at the time of check in as again because people assume the rate they have is the best and its really not.

We have saved $100's of dollars a night rechecking ratese the night before and or asking for additional discounts or free upgrades.
    Yes the lift needs around 5''. Here is a picture of the lift I use. The front casters are 3'' and the rear casters are 4''. I didn't tell the GM I needed 5''. I asked them if the bed pictured was the actual bed. They checked the website pictures and said yes. So I thought we were good. My mistake. It won't happen again. My wife spoke to the VP and all he did was apologize and refund our money. He knew they were wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Yes the lift needs around 5''. Here is a picture of the lift I use. The front casters are 3'' and the rear casters are 4''. I didn't tell the GM I needed 5''. I asked them if the bed pictured was the actual bed. They checked the website pictures and said yes. So I thought we were good. My mistake. It won't happen again. My wife spoke to the VP and all he did was apologize and refund our money. He knew they were wrong.

Makes more sense and though I am sure you two would rather have a non issue vacation you got your money back so that is a win!

Biggest issue is to be clear on exact needs and explain what happen on this trip and how it impacted you. Ask if maintenance can go in and make sure its at lease "5 of clearance and still get a picture of the lift under a bed.

Make sure when they send you pictures of the room its real pictures and no stock pictures taken by a photographer.

Have them send you pictures of the bathroom and doorways too.

Those that dont have an idea how it works still may not understand why it can go sideways next to the bed.

Remember you may be the 1st and only disabled person that person my come in contact with so education to them is key!

I dont know if you and your Wife have a travel advisor account but as much as you two travel you should start on so you can post your experiences on what's working and what you have challenges on.

It will help others in our community vs those that just panic and refuse to travel!

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Makes more sense and though I am sure you two would rather have a non issue vacation you got your money back so that is a win!

Biggest issue is to be clear on exact needs and explain what happen on this trip and how it impacted you. Ask if maintenance can go in and make sure its at lease "5 of clearance and still get a picture of the lift under a bed.

Make sure when they send you pictures of the room its real pictures and no stock pictures taken by a photographer.

Have them send you pictures of the bathroom and doorways too.

Those that dont have an idea how it works still may not understand why it can go sideways next to the bed.

Remember you may be the 1st and only disabled person that person my come in contact with so education to them is key!

I dont know if you and your Wife have a travel advisor account but as much as you two travel you should start on so you can post your experiences on what's working and what you have challenges on.

It will help others in our community vs those that just panic and refuse to travel!

From now on it's pictures with something measuring the space under the bed. Just stayed in the Margaritaville Beach Hotel in Pensacola. They checked the bed height and said they could move any furniture if needed. It wasn't needed. One of the nicest Hotels we have stayed at.

It is always worth standing your ground and not accepting compromises. We booked an IHG Holiday Inn because the 2nd room I need for my support worker is free. Large trade show with hotel on site to make sure we didn't have a long drive each day. Contacted them before, explained my needs and thought that everything was sorted. Arrived, went to room and couldn't get hoist under bed. The hotel said that I hadn't spoken to them but to group central reservations. Explained that I wasn't bothered who in their company I had spoken to they had assured me it was in hand. After hours spent trying to find solutions they then didn't want me to stay. Argued that we had entered into a contract with them and they eventually agreed to prop bed on copier paper. The argument continued for most of the next day and they rented a hospital bed for me at their cost. Can't say that it was a pleasant experience but I was there for the whole trade show.

Years ago when traveling to California, the night before our return home for convenience sake we stayed at a Holiday Inn by the SFO airport. Unfortunately the lift would not fit under the bed. However, the hotel refused to offer any sort of remedy. They even said they had no phone books, Bibles, anything to prop the bed up. We ended up making due stacking folded clothes under the bed, but it was quite the fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    It is always worth standing your ground and not accepting compromises. We booked an IHG Holiday Inn because the 2nd room I need for my support worker is free. Large trade show with hotel on site to make sure we didn't have a long drive each day. Contacted them before, explained my needs and thought that everything was sorted. Arrived, went to room and couldn't get hoist under bed. The hotel said that I hadn't spoken to them but to group central reservations. Explained that I wasn't bothered who in their company I had spoken to they had assured me it was in hand. After hours spent trying to find solutions they then didn't want me to stay. Argued that we had entered into a contract with them and they eventually agreed to prop bed on copier paper. The argument continued for most of the next day and they rented a hospital bed for me at their cost. Can't say that it was a pleasant experience but I was there for the whole trade show.
    I think the point is with a little advance effort and talking to the hotel direct you by pass the stress of the unexpected.

Know when wants to start a trip off arguing for a day just to prove "I am right"! More so if I am mad and yelling it's a terrible experience for my spouse.

It's very important it does matter who you are talking to and 3rd party reservations company and 3rd party sites like Hotels.com, Trivago, etc can create much more hassle and knowing all hotels price match would not save any money anyways.

So make sure you book in advance, talk with the General manager via phone and confirm with email and call a day or so in advance or email and confirm your expectations and needs.