Thread: Has anyone paid a PCA a little extra, on top of what they get paid by the State?

Has anyone paid a PCA a little extra, on top of what they get paid by the State?

And is it legal? It can be kind hard finding PCAs, so I was thinking about paying a PCA a little extra with my own money, so they'll be making a couple extra bucks a month. Anyone ever done this?

I don't know about Minn., but in CA, if using IHSS to pay for your attendant care, this is illegal, and can get you both a fine and booted out of the IHSS program all together. You can provide extras in the form of food, lodging, or transportation for your PCA, but not extra cash or salary.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Well, in NY it's best to hire them for both shifts and let them live in.
    Only bway you'll get anyone decent.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I don't know about Minn., but in CA, if using IHSS to pay for your attendant care, this is illegal, and can get you both a fine and booted out of the IHSS program all together. You can provide extras in the form of food, lodging, or transportation for your PCA, but not extra cash or salary.

(KLD)
    For those of us who don't use outside caregivers, IHSS = In-Home Supportive Services.

I guess if I wonder if I would qualify would ask medicare or united health currently I pay out of pocket but would they do household or grocery she does now its great

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I guess if I wonder if I would qualify would ask medicare or united health currently I pay out of pocket but would they do household or grocery she does now its great
    In most states you must be Medicaid eligible in order to get state-paid attendant care, and in my state (CA), grocery shopping or housekeeping is not technically covered. Your needs are determined by a social worker (!!!!) who bases this on a formula for such things as bowel/bladder care, transfers, bathing, respiratory care, etc. That determines the number of hours you get, and there is a pre-determined (low) wage. Some areas contract with an agency for the PCAs then, while others require you to find and recruit your own (which may be a friend or relative in most circumstances).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.