Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reliable national DME around OKC

A reliable national DME around OKC

Anyone know of an independant DME or/either a reliable national DME around OKC that is able to do Group 3 Complex Rehab Powerchairs? Our old DME sold to national company, all old worker replaced and gave up on shop now.

I can't speak to OKC specifically, but here is a link to the RESNA registrants in OK who do seating (always look at multiple cities, as the surrounding areas can be more fruitful). They work with different plans/settings, of course, but by talking/emailing around and asking for referrals as needed, you can usually get a sense of who's good, and compare with who's in network for you.

If you already have a feel for what brand of wheelchair you will be seeking, you can contact the local vendor for that chair. They often have contacts with RESNA certified therapists who can do your Medicare-required evaluation and justification. For example, here is the local vendor for Permobil in the Oklahoma City area:

NATIONAL SEATING & MOBILITY OKLAHOMA CITY
    1845 WEST RENO
    OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73106

Phone: 405.440.2400
    Url: http://www.nsm-seating.com
    or
    3500 Lakeside Dr
    Oklahoma City, OK 73179-3217

Phone: 405.440.2400
    Fax: 405.440.2450-f

Hours: Branch Manager - Tom Hoover

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Avoid NuMotion. OK shares a manager with NoCo, and they are a disaster on their best days.

National Seating and Mobility is a horrible, terrible atrocious company to work with. There is a healthy chance you will not have any other choice (I certainly don't), but be prepared to tell them EXACTLY how to do there job to the very last detail, including measuring YOURSELF exactly, telling them exactly what options you want, telling them how to bill your insurance, communicating as the go-between for your insurance company and NSM, reminding NSM that they need to keep doing their job 15 months into the process so that (hopefully) you can get your chair in under 24 months or so.

I hope OKC is better than my local NSM office, but I doubt it. They don't seem very invested in actually trying to get you a chair, and more interested in reasons why you can't get one.

More important than general testimonials is the history of the DME for the specific item you need. For example, there is a DME in my area that would bend over backwards to sell me a $70K van, is willing to sell me a power wheelchair, but isn't willing to put in the effort to sell manual wheelchairs. It's just not their business model. On the other hand, National Seating and Mobility doesn't want to sell me expensive vans or power chairs. They have a good history with manual wheelchairs and are willing to put in the effort.

By the way, out of the DME's control is the fact that some insurance companies don't allow upgrades. Hence you may not be able to get upgrades through them even if you wanted to pay the entire upgrade cost out of pocket. Sometimes DMEs are between a rock and a hard place. But I should know that. What I don't like is being kept in the dark. Sometimes it's more about communication than anything else.

"Thank ya'll!" Got to get started, again. Gave up last year and dropped trying. Turned to backup chairs. They were on way out when replaced and daily use they are used up now. Hate having deal with new folks, but down to no choice but bite the bullet and get process started.
    Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    More important than general testimonials is the history of the DME for the specific item you need. For example, there is a DME in my area that would bend over backwards to sell me a $70K van, is willing to sell me a power wheelchair, but isn't willing to put in the effort to sell manual wheelchairs. It's just not their business model. On the other hand, National Seating and Mobility doesn't want to sell me expensive vans or power chairs. They have a good history with manual wheelchairs and are willing to put in the effort.

By the way, out of the DME's control is the fact that some insurance companies don't allow upgrades. Hence you may not be able to get upgrades through them even if you wanted to pay the entire upgrade cost out of pocket. Sometimes DMEs are between a rock and a hard place. But I should know that. What I don't like is being kept in the dark. Sometimes it's more about communication than anything else.
    I've noticed these big DME providers are staffed with at least one disabled person in each location. Are you one of those persons?

No. Just someone with lots of experience with DMEs and is going through this process right now.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    No. Just someone with lots of experience with DMEs and is going through this process right now.
    I've been working with DMEs since the 80s and I think we're at rock bottom here. I've never seen such a mess in my 29 years on wheels.