Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart Drive

you should learn how to use the smart drive.. it can be a bit dangerous at times. i have one and i have had mixed experience with it. Just be carefull for the pavement. the smart drive can get stuck, and before you know it it will keep driving and get stucked under your wheelchair.
    so remember to train with it.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks everyone!

As a note, insurance might have covered the cost up to $6000 but they were vague. We're in the process of getting a new chair right now and didn't want to muddy the waters by trying to get a smart drive at the same time. The chair is still months away and a smart drive after that would have been several months. I had it in my head that I wanted the MX2+ which was outside of the insurance allowance anyway so I decided to buy out right.

I have the MX1+ and medicare payed for most of it. Strangely enough, my DME told me that approval would have been easier if I had bought a chair at same time. Medicare would see the combination of the manual chair and the mobility device as a power chair, apparently the Medicare decision making robot had a difficult time assimilating my need for a Smart Drive without a chair. My DME really knows his stuff so right from the get go he came and assessed the home interior to establish need (the Medicare robot is not at all concerned about your need to go outside, just as the Medicare robot thinks you don't need a shower chair). My DME also sent me to a pt to evaluate me for the Smart Drive. So I had a dr's prescription, DME home eval and a pt eval.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I have the MX1+ and medicare payed for most of it. Strangely enough, my DME told me that approval would have been easier if I had bought a chair at same time. Medicare would see the combination of the manual chair and the mobility device as a power chair, apparently the Medicare decision making robot had a difficult time assimilating my need for a Smart Drive without a chair. My DME really knows his stuff so right from the get go he came and assessed the home interior to establish need (the Medicare robot is not at all concerned about your need to go outside, just as the Medicare robot thinks you don't need a shower chair). My DME also sent meto a pt to evaluate me for the Smart Drive. So I had a dr's prescription, DME home eval and a pt eval.
    The good folks at Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center, in Virginia, have repeatedly denied my requests for both a Smart Drive and a cushion on the grounds they believe Medicare won't accessorize a chair they didn't originally reimburse for. Really sucks, since I've no use for the crappy chairs they'll pay for. So, I'm having Medicare buy 80% of a chair I won't use just so I can get coverage for cushions and a Smart Drive. What a waste of tax payer's $.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

That's typical. I have a need for 3 items which can be bought individually or in a kit. The kit contains about 5 additional items that I don't need. Medicare won't provide the 3 items individually. But they will provide the kit. The additional items go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    The good folks at Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center, in Virginia, have repeatedly denied my requests for both a Smart Drive and a cushion on the grounds they believe Medicare won't accessorize a chair they didn't originally reimburse for. Really sucks, since I've no use for the crappy chairs they'll pay for. So, I'm having Medicare buy 80% of a chair I won't use just so I can get coverage for cushions and a Smart Drive. What a waste of tax payer's $.
    so pass the chair on to someone without insurance.... seems like a win-win to me. And since I?m a taxpayer again (finally), I say the taxpayers can all go fuck themselves...

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    at least with medicare.. you can pay to upgrade the chair they pay 80% for to something you want.
    when you have medicare/medicaid you're truly screwed as you can't pay to even upgrade to a chair you want.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    so pass the chair on to someone without insurance.... seems like a win-win to me. And since I?m a taxpayer again (finally), I say the taxpayers can all go fuck themselves...

The Smart Drive arrived and it came with a axle clamp for a 24" wheel, my wife's chair has 25" wheels but thought I'd try the 24" clamp anyway. It seems to work just fine and also works with the Free Wheel. Is there any reason to bother buying a 25" axle clamp? I know the right answer is yes but has anyone else used the incorrect axle clamp?

I spent a couple hours reading the operators manual and understanding the settings. I had trouble getting my iphone 7 to pair with the wristband. I finally rebooted my phone and it fixed that issue. Changing settings is much easier on the phone then the wristband. One suggestion to engineers would be to make the wristband with a bigger screen and easier to push buttons. I'm thinking they where just trying to keep it small for ease of wearing. I tested the MX2 setting as well as the MX2+ setting. The MX2 setting seems to work great on flat surfaces. The MX2+ works best on everything else. She got her first test the other day with the MX2+ setting and the Free Wheel and did great. So far I'm pretty impressed with this little thing.

Call and see if they will give you the correct clamp for free. It used to be not a big deal to send out extra clamps.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.