Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Drive

Smart Drive

My wife is considering getting a Smart Drive. She tried out the MX2 the other day and didn't like all the "tapping" she had to do. I'm sure with practice she'd get the hang of it. But what was wrong with the MX1 method of it sensing when you pushed or braked? That seems like best method of starting and stopping, Did it just not work well? The rep from NuMotion that brought out the MX2 said he liked the MX1 better but thought they changed to better aid people with low arm strength.

Would like to hear your thoughts. New MX2 is $6k and a used MX1 is $2k.

Thanks,
    Dan

It is interesting you brought this up. The MX1+ is better than I thought. The one I originally had, had a difficult switch, so it was hard to change from one mode to another. But Mark had given me an updated switch at an Expo, which for some reason I had never tried until yesterday. The MX1+ does both. You can run it in sense mode where it shuts off on it's own due to bumps. Or you can press the switch twice and get a flashing green light for continuous travel, no bump stopping. Hitting the switch will shut it off again.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

My son has the MX2. When he first got it, he tried the various different modes, one of which is the MX1 method of pushing and it keeps going. But he found it wasn?t very sensitive (his words) in that mode, so he?s used the tapping mode since then (and uses it every day with no problems).

So it sounds like your wife only got to try the MX2 in the tapping mode....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thanks for the replies. Gordy are saying the MX2+ has a sensing mode similar to the MX1?

I have the MX2+ and you'll get used to the tapping very quickly. Take it to a mall and practice. You won't even think about it after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dkleinsmith View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Gordy are saying the MX2+ has a sensing mode similar to the MX1?
    Yes, but my son chooses not to use it in that mode.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I followed up by finding the operation manual for the MX2+. Looks like 3 different modes. It's nice that they kept the original mode of the MX1.

Thanks

As a follow up to this thread, I just won an MX 2+ on Ebay for $2900. The ad said it only had 5 hours of use and the photo's backed that up. Should be receiving it next week. I seriously can't believe I got it at this price. I will need to buy a new axle clamp to match my wife's wheel size but other than that She's good to go.

Does anyone use their Smart Drive with the Free Wheel? If so how do you compensate to the Free Wheel raising the castors up when engaged as it would throw the clamp out of level.

Thanks,
    Dan

Blog Entries
    The clamp is designed to allow wheelies, so the freewheel should not be an issue. as far as using the Push Tracker (tapping method), I found it to be very intuitive after just a couple of days. I transitioned from the MX2, so was used to tapping to stop. The main problem for me with the MX2 was that If I had to start pushing uphill, I could never give it enough of a push to do more than a crawl. Now I just give a double tap and let it accelerate until I reach the speed I want (usually max speed). The big down side for me is that I cannot seem to be able to get into the habit of turning it off when I come inside, and occasionally bump or shake my right hand enough to start me up.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 25 years post injury

Anybody got insurance to cover the MX2+?

I can't afford even a super steal of a deal $3k ebay find.