Thread: Travel to New Zealand

Travel to New Zealand

I'm heading to Queenstown, NZ mid-April for several days of hunting red stag. Our intention is to fly from DC to LA or SanFran, stay a night and then leave for NZ the next day. Between the two flights, I think I'll need to break it up some. We'll do the same on the return.

I'm leaving my powerchair at home for a couple of reasons: 1-Too much of an opportunity to break something, 2-I can't use it while hunting because they'll throw me in a SidexSide, chair on back, to get to our hunt sites. I haven't used a manual in 20+ years AND my shoulders are currently killing me, but I don't see any other options. I'll sit on my seat cushion during the flight.

Any suggestions, things I need to be aware of, or look out for, recommendations on what to see after the hunt, things to do while in Queenstown (There's an Ice Bar in my future).
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I'm heading to Queenstown, NZ mid-April for several days of hunting red stag. Our intention is to fly from DC to LA or SanFran, stay a night and then leave for NZ the next day. Between the two flights, I think I'll need to break it up some. We'll do the same on the return.

I'm leaving my powerchair at home for a couple of reasons: 1-Too much of an opportunity to break something, 2-I can't use it while hunting because they'll throw me in a SidexSide, chair on back, to get to our hunt sites. I haven't used a manual in 20+ years AND my shoulders are currently killing me, but I don't see any other options. I'll sit on my seat cushion during the flight.

Any suggestions, things I need to be aware of, or look out for, recommendations on what to see after the hunt, things to do while in Queenstown (There's an Ice Bar in my future).
    Any suggestions...engage anyone who is willing to push you where you need to go in your manual chair. Save those shoulders...especially if your "shoulders are currently killing" you. Your shoulders are going to suffer just keeping yourself up right in the airplane seat.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    We took our son to Queenstown a few years ago, primarily to go sit-skiing, but we did a few other activities too. The place is really well set up for tourists (as is most of NZ), and they were very accommodating in working out how to make things work for our son (which made a very pleasant change from other places we have visited...Legoland in the UK being the worst experience ever, but that’s another story!).

There are heaps of things to see/do...it just depends what you would enjoy doing, and/or capable of. (For example, there is one of those luge rides at the top of the hill above Queenstown, and our son (T6 complete) was able to ride it himself, fully in control, with assistance to get out at the end, and for his wheelchair to be waiting for him when he got down to the bottom. But not everyone would be capable of riding one independently). Then there’s bungee jumping, etc etc.

I didn’t notice an Ice Bar, but we didn’t find a bad bar, nor a beer that I wouldn’t drink!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Sounds awesome! Are you hunting at a specific ranch there? How did the opportunity arise?

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    Sounds awesome! Are you hunting at a specific ranch there? How did the opportunity arise?
    I will be hunting with Cardrona Safaris, about an hour out of Queenstown, for trophy red stag. I was invited as the second-place finisher for this year's Safari Club International Pathfinder award. Pretty good consolation prize if you ask me! Planning international travel has been pretty challenging at times, but I think we're all set.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein