Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remove push rims to narrow chair?

remove push rims to narrow chair?

I'm flying out to visit my daughter in GA. The house she rents has 23 inch bathroom doorway, and the chair I'm using at its widest is 24 inches (this is a rigid Ti with no camber, and 14 inch wide seat...cant get it any narrower). Of course we will take the door off of the bathroom, but aside from reframing the door, which we don't want to do for a 10 day vacation, cant think of anything else architecture wise. My idea is to remove the push rims on my wheels, and just push on the tires (using gloves, of course). Is this reasonable? Has anyone out there done this? Any advice welcomed.
    Last edited by Podkane; 02-20-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: more text

It's possible and reasonable, of course. But it's a little uncomfortable and unnnatural to push skinny tires without handrims. When I do it, my thumbs always catch on my backrest.

The biggest concern is braking. If there are any ramps or hills in the area, I'd exercise extreme caution going down them the first few times. Grabbing rubber to slow yourself is very different than bare metal or plastic.

Smart idea, do it. Do you have a second set of wheels you could take for outside her residence? Or rather do you have a second set of wheels to remove the push rims from and take your main ones for outside use?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yes, for most wheelchairs you can do this. Although widening the doorway may not be possible, you can often get nearly another inch or so clearance by removing the lower part of the molding that the door closes against on the door jam (called the "stop"). You only need to remove it to the height of your wheels (remove your armrests too).

They can easily replace and repaint the molding (if needed) after your visit.

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I agree with nonoise. A second set of wheels would be your best bet. Do you have a backup chair?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

expandable hinges could help. i have these on my bathroom door.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf

Set-back hinges may work to avoid having to remove the door, depending on how the door is configured, but the won't widen the door jamb.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Instead of removing the door, these replacement hinges move it out of the way:
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...SABEgKtSvD_BwE
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hey, great suggestions and advice from all! I have talked to my daughter about removing the "stop" molding, and I think we can do that. The second set of tires idea is great, and since I'm flying cheap (Frontier) and they charge for everything, I'll have to add another checked bag for the second set of wheels, but it will be worth it. Thanks also for the replacement hinges idea...we could do that also. Thanks mucho- fell much better about the trip now.

You should not be charged for your second set of wheels. You and the airlines should consider this as medical equipment and the same as taking a second chair, which you can gate check or check at the front desk as you desire. Just be sure nothing else is in that bag except for medical equipment or supplies.

(KLD)