Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about flying

Thanks for all the input. My wife's friend works for SW and has been telling her this for a couple of years. I never bothered to check because I don't travel much, but I'd like to, and I live closer to a SW terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. My wife's friend works for SW and has been telling her this for a couple of years. I never bothered to check because I don't travel much, but I'd like to, and I live closer to a SW terminal.

If you need any help feel free to message me more then willing to walk you though it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Monthly sounds brutal. I traveled extensively pre-injury and eve that was a real pain in the butt.
    Some pleasure some work but overall its not bad meet lots of nice people and get use to airport food!

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Moongazr View Post
    Southwest totally rocks! I used them 9 times last year and never had any problems. My wheelchair has always come thru with no extra scratches and was always right there when I came off the plane.
    Do you use a power wheelchair when flying? I just flew SW and was still afraid to bring a power wc, even though I heard they treat them better now. It would be nice if I could use my power wc and not have it damaged. But they have to remove the batteries, and a different crew re-installs them at the destination, and I'm not even sure how to remove them (I'd have to teach myself first, so I can tell them). If you brought a power wc 9 times and never had it damaged, I think I'd be willing to take a chance.

Another plug for SW... They just gave me a $525 credit (my ticket plus $300) for giving up my seat (needed for extra crew) and taking a later flight. I appreciated that they treated me like any other passenger (letting me volunteer my seat) even though I need extra help.

Passengers needing assistance always board first (called "pre-boarding" on SW). They boarded me first and put me in the bulkhead on one leg of the flight, but not the other. I never asked for a specific seat, but I think they would certainly have let me choose, since it's the policy for all passengers. Another advantage with the bulkhead (at least on a Boeing 737) is that my manual wc fits, and they only have to do one transfer (no aisle chair needed).
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    Do you use a power wheelchair when flying? I just flew SW and was still afraid to bring a power wc, even though I heard they treat them better now. It would be nice if I could use my power wc and not have it damaged. But they have to remove the batteries, and a different crew re-installs them at the destination, and I'm not even sure how to remove them (I'd have to teach myself first, so I can tell them). If you brought a power wc 9 times and never had it damaged, I think I'd be willing to take a chance.

Another plug for SW... They just gave me a $525 credit (my ticket plus $300) for giving up my seat (needed for extra crew) and taking a later flight. I appreciated that they treated me like any other passenger (letting me volunteer my seat) even though I need extra help.

Passengers needing assistance always board first (called "pre-boarding" on SW). They boarded me first and put me in the bulkhead on one leg of the flight, but not the other. I never asked for a specific seat, but I think they would certainly have let me choose, since it's the policy for all passengers. Another advantage with the bulkhead (at least on a Boeing 737) is that my manual wc fits, and they only have to do one transfer (no aisle chair needed).
    Batteries removed...I don't think this happens vary often anymore.