Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about flying

A question about flying

Does anyone else need bulkhead seating or the first row behind first class? I'm 6'7" and I just can't fit my legs into a regular seat. I would love to fly with Southwest air but, they don't allow prearranged or special seating requests.

https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...plane_faq.html

Do passengers with disabilities get to preboard?
    Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups. Those Customers who need extra time to board will receive a new boarding pass with an extra time designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to board before Family Boarding.

We will allow one travel companion to act as an “attendant” and preboard with a Customer with a disability. In most cases, the Customer requires assistance from only one other person, and any additional family members or friends are asked to board with their assigned group.

Customers should request preboarding from our Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or departure gate. Our Agents are trained to ask factfinding questions to determine if the Customer meets the qualifications described above. Those Customers who qualify for preboarding will receive a new boarding pass with a preboarding designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to preboard.

It's important to keep in mind that Customers who preboard may not occupy an exit seat.

Note: Customers who are preboarding because of a need for a specific seat onboard the aircraft should speak with the Operations (Boarding) Agent prior to the start of preboarding to alert the Agent to the seating need.

I don't know how well this works in practice. But, maybe a call prior to travel or at the time of booking would also help get the seating you need. From Southwest Airlines Customers with Disabilities
    https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ities-pol.html

Customers may also advise us of any disability-related travel needs at the time of booking by telephone or, if a reservation has already been made, by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) prior to travel.

I have always been allowed to board first on Southwest. They are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    Does anyone else need bulkhead seating or the first row behind first class? I'm 6'7" and I just can't fit my legs into a regular seat. I would love to fly with Southwest air but, they don't allow prearranged or special seating requests.

Not sure where you are getting your information??

Southwest is #1 in flying with our community. It is all we fly and have worked hard with them getting processes in place with their corporate leadership in Texas standardized methods and procedures.

When you get to the airport and ticket counter you just needed to get a pre boarding pass. If you are using power mobility you would pre board 1st. This gives you time to transfer in private, get comfortable and have them take your chair and begin to load it below.

If you are a wheelchair user you would board after power chair users.

Its important to let the ramp agents know you need the bulk seat as its more simple to transfer. They will clear the seats for you if they are occupied. Just know those seats dont have tables for long trips and you have to store everything in the bin above you.

If you need help feel free to message me more then able to help!

yah john, we fly southwest and always first bulkhead seats with pre board
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your information??

Southwest is #1 in flying with our community. It is all we fly and have worked hard with them getting processes in place with their corporate leadership in Texas standardized methods and procedures.
    We as in who? Are you talking about CC? I never flew with S-W
    Last edited by Mac85; 02-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Southwest totally rocks! I used them 9 times last year and never had any problems. My wheelchair has always come thru with no extra scratches and was always right there when I came off the plane. The one thing I would add though....give yourself extra time to go thru TSA...things can get bogged down, almost missed one flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    We as in who? Are you talking about CC? I never flew with S-W
    The post was not referring to you but to the person needing help...we is my Wife and myself we fly monthly.

The post was not referring to you but to the person needing help...we is my Wife and myself we fly monthly.
    gotcha, I know but I was just curious. I will use Southwest on my next flight.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Monthly sounds brutal. I traveled extensively pre-injury and eve that was a real pain in the butt.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.