Thread: All-inclusive Resort Can't Guarantee Accessible Room, Anyone Else Have That problem?

All-inclusive Resort Can't Guarantee Accessible Room, Anyone Else Have That problem?

Hi all,
    I tried to reserve a room at the Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay in Jamaica last week. I used the resorts website to reserve the room and selected a wheelchair accessible room at the time. I also called the number listed on the website for reservations and tried to confirm with the agent the room I reserved was in fact wheelchair accessible. He explained he was at a reservation center in Florida and he would have to call the resort in Jamaica to confirm the wheelchair accessible room. Problem is, I didn't hear back from them for over a week and when I called him back, he explained there was no way they could guarantee a wheelchair accessible room for the dates I was requesting or any date for that matter. He said he would try, but would not guarantee I got an accessible room.

I called the resort and spoke with a clerk who said she would put it into her system that I was requesting a wheelchair accessible room but again said this was not a guarantee that I'd have an accessible room when I arrived there at the hotel. I don't travel much but I don't recall ever having this much trouble trying to reserve a wheelchair accessible room, just wondering if anybody else has experienced this in other resorts? I'm going to call back again today and speak with a manager but I doubt it will do much good.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Dan G. in CT

If they can't guarantee the room I would look for a different place to stay.

I agree. Speak to the manager, but if he can't guarantee you the accessible room, tell him you are going to a different resort and cancel your reservations. Even better, find one that will do so, so you can tell him the name of the competitor you are taking your business to. Of course you do know that outside of the USA the ADA does not apply, so any resort in Jamaica is not legally obligated to provide any accessible rooms...

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

''Even better, find one that will do so, so you can tell him the name of the competitor you are taking your business to.''

Great suggestion! I like that! What are you needing in the accessible room? I can survive my vacations doing a very good bed bath so all I need is for my Hoyer Advance to fit under the bed. Good luck! Keep us updated.

ive come across a few in clearwater florida that couldnt either said there rooms were first come first serve but they did point me to hotels and resorts near them that acomidated my needs
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzila@optonline.net View Post
    Hi all,
    I tried to reserve a room at the Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay in Jamaica last week. I used the resorts website to reserve the room and selected a wheelchair accessible room at the time. I also called the number listed on the website for reservations and tried to confirm with the agent the room I reserved was in fact wheelchair accessible. He explained he was at a reservation center in Florida and he would have to call the resort in Jamaica to confirm the wheelchair accessible room. Problem is, I didn't hear back from them for over a week and when I called him back, he explained there was no way they could guarantee a wheelchair accessible room for the dates I was requesting or any date for that matter. He said he would try, but would not guarantee I got an accessible room.

I called the resort and spoke with a clerk who said she would put it into her system that I was requesting a wheelchair accessible room but again said this was not a guarantee that I'd have an accessible room when I arrived there at the hotel. I don't travel much but I don't recall ever having this much trouble trying to reserve a wheelchair accessible room, just wondering if anybody else has experienced this in other resorts? I'm going to call back again today and speak with a manager but I doubt it will do much good.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

You have to know the industry a bit to understand what went wrong. When people call numbers on websites its hard know now a days you are connected to the true website and or a 3rd party website looking like the original one.

With that said most hotels use 3rd party companies to take reservations to save money.

Many times if they are connected to the property or hotel they are not on property.

What I would do is call the hotel direct when they answer verify you are talking to the property, then ask for the general manager not manager.

They may refer you to a different person but that is ok follow their lead.

Explain your needs and explain your specific needs (example lower floor, bed to support a hoyer lift, roll in shower, less room furniture to give you more space to move, etc)

I also ask once they are working with rooms for you if they can go in and take pictures and send them to you. Can tell you how many times in 20 years of traveling people describe rooms but its nothing close to being ADA power chair accommodating.

This way the pictures can by your eyes on what will work or not work. Plus know you have an email contact and you also build rapport with that GM or manager they connect you with.

Also remember international accommodations can be totally different then US so be SPECIFIC!!!

Dont be afraid to ask if they can provide you a free upgrade to more space, bigger room, a suite if you dont ask you will never know. Also ask again at check in but make sure it has the same accommodations you need.

We have had some amazing upgrades simply by asking.

Last ones you complete your trip post about your experience on social media, others looking to travel need our feedback and if you had a great experience it's a great way to post a positive review giving names and contact info of people that helped you!
    Last edited by RollPositive; 02-18-2018 at 09:29 PM.