Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu symptoms fever weak headache also possible Cellu;itus

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Did you have fevers chills etc. Did they keep leg elevated? how about compression stockings mine go just below the knee ass i have never swelling in knee area and just above like i do this time its different for me this time as i have some flu like syptoms as well even some wierd ones like blurred vision and my wife as this as well also we are both short of breath I think the flu is mixed in somehow My sed rate came back at 31 which is twice what it should be
    i was hot and had high fever was dizzy couldnt hardly get out of bed definitley dont wear the compression socks they didnt elevate my leg but kept me in bed the hospital stay and im thinking it was 4 days i was there then they sent me home with oral antibiotics i cant remember what antibiotics though
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Yes sed rate was 31 going back to primary tomorrow Antbiotic seems to working albeit slowly.( fevers chills etc. becoming a little more manageable Going to do another cbc and sed rate.I have ceased using using compression stockings. Knee does'n't look much better? The flu symptoms in this area really run the gambit my wife and i both have blurred vision get winded very easily other wise our symptoms are very different. I believe i have cellulitus infection as a complication of the flu

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Don't use compression over a leg that may have cellulitis. It can help to spread the infection. Did you call your physician after getting the elevated sed rate report? You should go to the ER.

(KLD)

Simiar symptoms primary doc will decide if i need to be hospitalized tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    i was hot and had high fever was dizzy couldnt hardly get out of bed definitley dont wear the compression socks they didnt elevate my leg but kept me in bed the hospital stay and im thinking it was 4 days i was there then they sent me home with oral antibiotics i cant remember what antibiotics though

Sorry forgot really hard to know how much to drink fluid accumulates in leg so urine continues to be concentrate Currently drinking about 80 oz of water plus a bowl of jello should i increase also should i not elevate leg concerning spread of infection lastly biggest difference in appearance of thid infection is lower leg swelled and warmish to touch knee is discolored and warmer than lower leg. Other three have not involed the knee whicha ctuall looks yellowish all input is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Yes sed rate was 31 going back to primary tomorrow Antbiotic seems to working albeit slowly.( fevers chills etc. becoming a little more manageable Going to do another cbc and sed rate.I have ceased using using compression stockings. Knee does'n't look much better? The flu symptoms in this area really run the gambit my wife and i both have blurred vision get winded very easily other wise our symptoms are very different. I believe i have cellulitus infection as a complication of the flu

Yes, you don't want to get dehydrated, as that can make any infection worse, so that amount of fluid is good. If you are doing intermittent cath, continue to cath at least every 6 hours regardless of your volume of urine. Try to keep the leg elevated as this will help keep the swelling/edema down. Swollen tissue is less well perfused by the tiny blood vessels.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Update 2nd. In hospital had many tests turns out I have a fracture of femur just
    above kneecap first doc said surgery ortho says no still running fever but no sign of infection just had last run of Iv antibiotics been on vancro and other one starts with z related to pinnicilllin. I think being discharged tomorrow
    ortho guy hesitates to use brace because of possible skin breakdown sci nurse or anyone know of a soft brace that would not damage skin it appears to be lined uo good now and ortho reccommend heal in place transfers could be a little tricky

A brace or splint that can be removed at least daily for skin inspection is ideal, and it should be well padded. Don't let them put you in a cast for sure! Your ortho doctor should consult with a good orthotist who can either fabricate or order an appropriate splint.

Surgery is not always an option depending on how bad your osteoporosis is, and unless you stand or walk on a regular basis generally these type of non-displaced fractures are treated by immobilization (splint or brace) only for people with SCI. You likely will need to keep your knee extended in the brace though, so need to consider getting around your house in your wheelchair with your leg elevated all the time, and also fitting into any van that you use for transportation.

How do you transfer now? Mechanical lift? Quad pivot? 2 person lift?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am a t8 para complete driving I use an SUV lift right leg in use upper body strength and left leg (injured)sort of trail and I pull it in
    Then load folding chair with Braun chair topper That transfer may actually work as long as left leg can be bent if it has to be straight I have no clue how I could go anywhere I have been considering power chair and lift possibly in pickup or minivan but again if leg has to be extended ??

As far as other transfers I use typical para transfers transferring to my left is always the n most difficult transferring back into my manual from Raz shower commode chair is most difficult whenever possible my wife holds the chair I am thinking I have to rethink everything and will consult with pt and ot for temp solution as well permanent changes I may have to consider Boyer and home health care for help with temporary one of the things I talked about with ortho to was just trying to protect leg with assistance with all transfers and no brace of any tiype I also wonder if a knee brace that protects knee but allows it to bend allows some hope of workable solution I think there will be lots to learn I just wonder how others have handled this. Lastly still t
    running low grade fever docs seem to think it is leg trams as they have exhausted al possible o
    explanations for temp?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A brace or splint that can be removed at least daily for skin inspection is ideal, and it should be well padded. Don't let them put you in a cast for sure! Your ortho doctor should consult with a good orthotist who can either fabricate or order an appropriate splint.

Surgery is not always an option depending on how bad your osteoporosis is, and unless you stand or walk on a regular basis generally these type of non-displaced fractures are treated by immobilization (splint or brace) only for people with SCI. You likely will need to keep your knee extended in the brace though, so need to consider getting around your house in your wheelchair with your leg elevated all the time, and also fitting into any van that you use for transportation.

How do you transfer now? Mechanical lift? Quad pivot? 2 person lift?

(KLD)

You can have a low grade temp with a fracture, but I would also want to rule out you having a DVT which could also cause you to run a low grade temp, and is a risk after a fracture.

Very likely you need to be in a constant knee extended position to heal your fracture (no knee flexion) but that would be something for the ortho physician to decide.

(KLD)

So sorry you have to deal with all of this. When my father broke his leg, they put an incorrect boot cast on it and he developed a terrible pressure sore in days on his heel. It turned black and eventually fell off... One of the junior residents came to me later and admitted they screwed up.

Anyway, I also agree with KLD that they need to make sure you don't have a blood clot in that leg, as that can cause the fever. Have they done an ultrasound of your broken leg to look for a clot?