Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu symptoms fever weak headache also possible Cellu;itus

Flu symptoms fever weak headache also possible Cellu;itus

I am a t-8 complete 61 years of age and 32 yrs post
    On the one hand i have some pretty classic flu symptoms fever headache chills sweats for 4 days so far I have did urine culturr which was negative which did not surprise me as i so preventative gent instillation. I also had several cases of cellulitus and now my left leg is quite a bu=it bigger and although not red yet there is some warmness at knee and calf In the past most swelling and redness have been below the knee but not this time My wife is on her 4th week first with type a influrnza with nausea duahrhea head ache fever hills and sweats it has now morphed or reinented otself as a dry cough and overall malais ,so i have certainly been exposed i should mention that she is an able bodied 54 year old that almost never gets sick
    I started tamiflu on beginning of 3rd day. I am going to the clinic tomorrow to see if i should start on cephlexin or keflex They will go 100% on my callas there is no one within 150 miles that has any sci background looking for suggestion several people have died in my state as it is basically epidemic/ i want to try everything that has a possability to work

pete

Antibiotics are not appropriate for the flu. If you have a bacterial suprainfection of your lungs or pneumonia on top of the flu, then antibiotics might be appropriate.

If you are developing a cellulitis, they should be able to diagnose that at your clinic visit. You should probably also get some blood work done to check your white cell count (WBC).

Are you coughing a lot? Sore throat? Bringing up sputum when you cough? If so, what color is it? Clear or whitish is normal. Green or yellow may indicate a bacterial infection in addition to the flu virus.

Diarrhea and nausea/vomiting is not a feature of the flu. Perhaps your wife has a gastroenteritis that is also going around?

Did you have a flu shot this year? Have you had your pneumonia immunization? The flu going around this year is especially tough, and you may get it even if you got a flu shot, but generally a much milder case. In my county we have had over 200 flu-related deaths this year...compared to less than 60 in a typical flu year.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hope you are feeling better soon. We are in the same age range and length on injury. If I happen to be at my yearly checkup and they offer a flushot I have gotten twice in the past. It wasn't the sequence of events this year so I do get concerned when I see younger and healthier people than myself getting hit hard by flu ( or any illness). Hope you are able to sort things out and get feeling better soon.

I had some upper respiratory congestion a couple weeks back but it did not develope into much. My wife is currently experiencing a sever cough she is taking an amoxycillin and so the color of sputem is less greenish but also harder and harder to get anything out. the first 2 weeks for her were more the nausea fever diarrhea but then cme back as upper respiratory. We both had flu shot sand i have had my pneumonia immunization I will ask for the blood work tommorow,I know there was a couple indicators last time so i will have to look through my records thanks the response

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Antibiotics are not appropriate for the flu. If you have a bacterial suprainfection of your lungs or pneumonia on top of the flu, then antibiotics might be appropriate.

If you are developing a cellulitis, they should be able to diagnose that at your clinic visit. You should probably also get some blood work done to check your white cell count (WBC).

Are you coughing a lot? Sore throat? Bringing up sputum when you cough? If so, what color is it? Clear or whitish is normal. Green or yellow may indicate a bacterial infection in addition to the flu virus.

Diarrhea and nausea/vomiting is not a feature of the flu. Perhaps your wife has a gastroenteritis that is also going around?

Did you have a flu shot this year? Have you had your pneumonia immunization? The flu going around this year is especially tough, and you may get it even if you got a flu shot, but generally a much milder case. In my county we have had over 200 flu-related deaths this year...compared to less than 60 in a typical flu year.

(KLD)

i would have your wife start on something like mucinex it works great! my pulmologist highly recommends it to her patients who have issues bringing stuff up. if your leg is warm and swollen have you thought of blood clot also? as they can sometimes cause a low grade fever as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

sh started mucinex a couple days ago seems to be helping a little bit

Had my appointmrnt wbc is normal should haye my sed rate by tomorrow Lot of concern about about cellulitus as left leg is warm and almost twice the size of right also knee area got a rocephen shot and will return Monday

If it gets worse over weekend have to go to ER not a happy thought

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Had my appointmrnt wbc is normal should haye my sed rate by tomorrow Lot of concern about about cellulitus as left leg is warm and almost twice the size of right also knee area got a rocephen shot and will return Monday

If it gets worse over weekend have to go to ER not a happy thought
    i was hospitilized from cellulitus my lower left leg swelled up real big and you could feel the heat coming off it without touching it i mean holding your hand away from the leg they gave me antibiotic iv and iv fluids i was there for several days
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Did you have fevers chills etc. Did they keep leg elevated? how about compression stockings mine go just below the knee ass i have never swelling in knee area and just above like i do this time its different for me this time as i have some flu like syptoms as well even some wierd ones like blurred vision and my wife as this as well also we are both short of breath I think the flu is mixed in somehow My sed rate came back at 31 which is twice what it should be

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    i was hospitilized from cellulitus my lower left leg swelled up real big and you could feel the heat coming off it without touching it i mean holding your hand away from the leg they gave me antibiotic iv and iv fluids i was there for several days

Don't use compression over a leg that may have cellulitis. It can help to spread the infection. Did you call your physician after getting the elevated sed rate report? You should go to the ER.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.