Thread: Roho Agility Max Contour back system, will it provide enough lateral support?

Question Roho Agility Max Contour back system, will it provide enough lateral support?

I'm leaving a seating evaluation that I requested because my current Permobil back with Stealth laterals is causing me terrible back pain. It seems that the low profile backrest isn't providing me the support I need considering that I'm 6'4. The laterals are constantly shifting, breaking and do not provide me with the support I need to prevent my sclerosis from getting worse and/or it doesn't prevent me from putting pressure on my compacted disks in my 3rd and 4th vertebrates in my lumbar.

The therapist recommends the Roho backrest, but I'm concerned that it's too deep and will not provide the lateral support I need. Does anyone have any input on this backrest and the lateral support? I'm really needing something snug that will fit me tightly.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I use a 6" deep Ride Designs Java backrest which gives ample lateral support.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    I'm leaving a seating evaluation that I requested because my current Permobil back with Stealth laterals is causing me terrible back pain. It seems that the low profile backrest isn't providing me the support I need considering that I'm 6'4. The laterals are constantly shifting, breaking and do not provide me with the support I need to prevent my sclerosis from getting worse and/or it doesn't prevent me from putting pressure on my compacted disks in my 3rd and 4th vertebrates in my lumbar.

The therapist recommends the Roho backrest, but I'm concerned that it's too deep and will not provide the lateral support I need. Does anyone have any input on this backrest and the lateral support? I'm really needing something snug that will fit me tightly.

I’ve been interested in the ROHO mid contour and curious if anyone is using and has feedback on the back in general. I’ve had two Jay III backs and they haven’t worked well for me. The videos and promotional materials are good but have never found DME or rep that knows how to fit them.

I've been using the Roho mid contour back for about 14 months. I'm C6/7 complete. 6'3" tall and thin. For my needs it is probably the best back I've every had.

I have the 16 inch wide and 20 inches tall (tallest one available) back configuration. I would say it gives me moderate lateral support. The deep contour (Max) was too deep for me. The lateral supports were in my way when I did arm exercises and transfers. The Roho flotation cushioning down the middle of the back can be inflated or deflated to help support and protect the spine. I'm pretty thin and other backs were just too hard and after a day in the chair, I would have red spots on the skin running down the spine.

If you live in or near a fairly large city, a durable medical equipment supplier should be able to contact the Permobil/Roho rep for the region or area and get a couple demo backs delivered for you to try. The rep in northern California was able to do this for me through my supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I've been using the Roho mid contour back for about 14 months. I'm C6/7 complete. 6'3" tall and thin. For my needs it is probably the best back I've every had.

I have the 16 inch wide and 20 inches tall (tallest one available) back configuration. I would say it gives me moderate lateral support. The deep contour (Max) was too deep for me. The lateral supports were in my way when I did arm exercises and transfers. The Roho flotation cushioning down the middle of the back can be inflated or deflated to help support and protect the spine. I'm pretty thin and other backs were just too hard and after a day in the chair, I would have red spots on the skin running down the spine.

If you live in or near a fairly large city, a durable medical equipment supplier should be able to contact the Permobil/Roho rep for the region or area and get a couple demo backs delivered for you to try. The rep in northern California was able to do this for me through my supplier.
    Thank you gjnl. Your review and personal experiece with both the Max and Mid Contour ROHO back is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I am going to see if it is possible to obtain a demo back as you've suggested.

I'm using the Invacare matrix elite deep back. As a quad with the need for lateral support I feel the deep model was needed.

I was able to get a demo on a Permobil prior to purchase, though my rep did everything they could not to offer me that option. Seems they want to do as little as possible to quickly knock out an order and get the commission. That would involve going strictly with all Permobil standard items.

I tried the Jay also, though I feel the Invacare matrix elite deep at a better anatomical shape, as well as midlevel wraparound lateral support.