Thread: Walking - Resisting extension

Walking - Resisting extension

I am use to my son having a knee extension that I break gently when I do steps with him. Recently, when I move his leg forward to step, he sometimes resists extending his knee. What could that be?

Spasticity?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Maybe, I just wasn't sure because I always assumed the extensor at the knee is a spasm, and flexor at the elbow, but not flexing of the knee, and it's new.

You have both knee flexors and knee extensor muscles, and both extensors and flexors in the elbow as well. Spasticity can occur in either or both. Spasticity can evolve and change over time. Quick stretch is the most common method of triggering spasticity and spasms.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

To build on what SCI-Nurse said, when you are moving his leg forward to assist with a step, you are likely stretching his hamstrings, which could be triggering a spasm.

I have a similar problem, and I'm almost 100% certain it's due to worsening spasticity. Your son's issue certainly sounds like it.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Hmm thanks everyone! I'll keep an eye on it, we just started doing walking overground and I just notice it when doing that.