Thread: Any tips on speeding up bowel program?

Any tips on speeding up bowel program?

I am a C5-6, I do my bowel program every other night. I eat a little over a 1/2 cup of bran buds and yogurt in the morning, a glass of Metamucil in the afternoon, and eat fruit and vegetables. So I think I'm getting enough fiber. I take 1 colace every morning, 4 senokot s the morning of a bowel program, and use 1 magic bullet at night. I can pass the bulk of the stool within the first 20-30 minutes. The stool starts off well formed, but gets softer and softer as I go. It's the softer stool near the end that takes another 30-60 minutes to come down and need to do digital stimulation to help it out. Anyone have any tips to help make the bowel program go quicker? Also, when doing digital stimulation, can air get up in the rectum? I had a bowel program last night, but this morning while I laying on my right side, I was passing a lot of gas. Which is unusual for me. So now I'm wondering if I had more stool come down, or if it's just gas.

Irrigation. Cut my bowel program over 50% from an hour to 25-30 min.

And how do you do that? Do you have insert the liquid in bed? How long do you hold it in for?

Here is a YouTube video about Peristeen by Coloplast. This system requires a doctor's prescription and training by a certified Peristeen nurse before you can get the system. Peristeen is not covered by Medicare.

I'm using a readily available system that I call the Poor Man's Peristeen. https://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com...19c-d-sssk.htm

I would not recommend that these irrigation/enema systems be used in bed because it is difficult to contain 1-1.5 quarts of feces tainted water when it is expelled from the rectum. In my procedure. my caregiver removes any stool that has collected in the rectal vault, then I transfer to a commode chair. About 1.25 quarts of warm (about body temperature) salted water (about 1 teaspoon table salt) is slowly flushed into the rectum through a rectal catheter. I retain the water for about 10 minutes. The catheter is deflated and removed. Now comes the tricky part, managing the effluent. Sometimes digital stimulation is required to make sure all the water/feces has been expelled.

Many do this procedure on the toilet or in the shower. All depends on your situation.

Do you eat a meal or have a hot liquid about 30 minutes prior to doing bowel care?

Do you do bowel care on a toilet/commode or in bed?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Do you have access to a hand shower? I, C7, use an Enemeez type solution injected with a Lubricant Launcher. I'm usually mostly done in 10 to 20 minutes. Then I roll into the shower and hit my anus with a hard spray of hot shower water. Three out of four days, the spray prompts more stool, whether at that point it's hard or soft. I've found it's the combination of temperature and velocity that works. If I try cooler water at home, it is less successful. If I'm travelling and the hotel sprayer has a soft spray, I'm also less likely to prompt more stool. The tingling of the spray (I have a little sensation) seems critical for success.

BTW, I quit using any digital stimulation after my third hemorrhoid surgery.

No one mentions meds. Replace oral baclofen and pain meds with a pump. That in itself may make a huge difference. Otherwise, oral meds may impede all the other things you try.

The pump made a huge difference for me in so many ways, this being just one of them.

I eat something and drink something hot, but by the time I get undressed and do range of motion, it's been more than 30 minutes.
    I do my bowel program on a commode.

Doing bowel care within 30 minutes after having a hot beverage or meal will speed up emptying as it stimulates the gastrocolic reflex, which increases the rate of peristalsis of the colon by about 3X. You may also want to do some abdominal massage prior to inserting suppository/Enemeez as this can also stimulate more peristalsis. Massage firmly over the colon, working from the right to left side.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.