Thread: Help with Colostomy bags

Help with Colostomy bags

Filtered colostomy bags is a subject I have not been able to find any information on.

I am looking for a colostomy bag/pouch with a charcoal filter system that actually works. I've only found one such product on the market but my medical coverage will no longer pay for them; it is the Hollister CenterPointLock Drainable Pouch with replaceable filter. This pouch is a double bag design and it works great when modified by punching additional holes into the inner bag.

I am currently testing the Coloplast Mio Click closed pouch. It also has a charcoal filter system but is a fraction the size of the above mentioned Hollister charcoal filter. Yes it helps a little and is better than nothing, yet, overall it fails at preventing the stink of gas. You would not want to attempt intimacy with someone, and it will ruin a good meal.

Has anyone found a filtered bag/pouch that they are satisfied with? Please share. Thank you.

''I am currently testing the Coloplast Mio Click closed pouch. It also has a charcoal filter system but is a fraction the size of the above mentioned Hollister charcoal filter. Yes it helps a little and is better than nothing, yet, overall it fails at preventing the stink of gas. You would not want to attempt intimacy with someone, and it will ruin a good meal. ''

I use the Coloplast Mio one piece. It attaches with adhesive. No snapping two pieces together. For the most part the filter works pretty good. Lets be realistic stopping all the gas smell is pretty much impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    . Lets be realistic stopping all the gas smell is pretty much impossible.
    Believe me, the Hollister model that I mentioned above will stop ALL noticeable gas smells and the filter will generally last me 24 hours, unless it gets wet or soiled, at which time the filter can simply be replaced. I am suffering from C-DIFF right now and my gas is toxic enough to clear a room. I used the Hollister for seven years, it was the only filtered pouch I could find at the time. My roommate is a nurse with a bloodhounds sense of smell and she rates the bag as odor free.

I find that the filter in the Coloplast Mio will last me a few hours before it starts to lose effectiveness. I was also surprised to discover that the closed pouch model is also smaller than expected, and therefore requires changing more often.

ok but once your c-diff clears it may change give the coloplast ample time. in my expeirence C-diff has a smell of it's own and is very potent
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Did you ever have C-DIFF with the other bag? If you did how did it work? Have you tried a Coloplast bag that can be drained? Maybe something like that would work better. Why did you poke holes into the other bag?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Did you ever have C-DIFF with the other bag? If you did how did it work? Have you tried a Coloplast bag that can be drained? Maybe something like that would work better. Why did you poke holes into the other bag?
    Yes, I just switched bags a couple weeks ago. The Hollister bag with the replaceable filter prevented the C-DIFF and all other smells from escaping. However, it does have to be modified. It is a double bag design and while the inner bag appears to have a breathable membrane. Using it stock out of the box it fails to allow the gas I produce from passing, the bag becomes a balloon. We use scissors to snip at least 7 cuts, each about 1/4 inch in size into it. The outer bag has a relatively large filter, about the size of a nickel. The System Works great when modified. I contacted Hollister yesterday and discovered that they have discontinued the manufacturing of
    this line of bags (the Hollister centerpointlock drainable with replaceable filter). I used these bags for nearly eight years. If the company had simply updated the inner bag with the new membrane, negating the need for a modification, it would've been a perfect product.

I have not tried any of the other Coloplast bags but I also called them yesterday. According to the spokesperson, all of their vented bags have the same filter system. In comparison, the filter is considerably smaller than the now discontinued Hollister model. I have not been able to find any manufacturer that offers bags/pouches with a replaceable filter system. Based on my research, the manufacturers are all offering a very similar filtered system for their bags. There is a company offering vent accessories, and they have a add-on filter but I cannot afford them.
    Last edited by QuadmanJr; 02-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    ok but once your c-diff clears it may change give the coloplast ample time. in my expeirence C-diff has a smell of it's own and is very potent
    I look forward to getting back to normal. Yet, I find it disheartening that we have to accept inferior products when a better solution could easily be on the market.

I use a Hollister 82400 closed pouch with a charcoal filter. I also take a daily probiotic and a Devrom "internal deodorant"tablet. Rarely do I have any smell.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein