Thread: Medicine

Medicine

Hi
    I am curious to see what other people think of all the meds I am on.
    I am on glicazide 1/day
    metformin 500mg 4/day These are for diabetes

oxycodone 30 2/day pain
    baclofen 10 mg 4/day pain
    desparimine 10 3/day pain depression

venfalafien 150 mg 1/day depression

quietipiene 25mg 1/day sleep

Last night I barely slept but I get up at 7:00 am and can't stay awake and fall asleep for an hour sitting.
    This is the weirdest life ever.
    Any thoughts are appreciated Steve
    I am slated to get a spinal cord stimulator within the next 8 months

Any recent changes in your meds?

A lot of the ones you are taking can make you sleepy if that's your problem (oxycodone, desipramine, baclofen and quetiapine are all pretty sedating). What time of the day are you taking your medications?

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?? Pretty common in people with SCI/D.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm not drousy during the day and at bedtime I seem to be wide awake.I don't sleep well ever. I usaually take med's before lunch. I have sleep apnea but can't stand the machine that is supposed to help.

If you've got sleep apnea, but you cant tolerate the CPAP machine there's not really anything that's going to give you restful sleep. If you are "wide awake" at night, it might be reasonable to ask your doctor if you can take the more sedating medications at bedtime, might help you feel like you need to sleep.

There are a number of mask types to try. You may need to look at some of the ones that don't cover your face as much as others do. As for the noise, I've been told by a couple friends of mine that have sleep apnea that the sound is something you have to take the time to get used to. The nasal mask instead of the full face mask may be helpful to you. Also try getting used to the CPAP mask and machine while you are sitting upright, involved in a quiet activity like reading. Ease into using the machine at night.

I developed sleep apnea after my injury. Over a few years, I tried two CPAP machines, one BiPAP machine, and finally an ASV (auto servo ventilator). The ASV is much like the others but it senses when the user is not breathing and instigates a breath. I also like that it provides very little backpressure when I'm exhaling, a big advantage for a quad. Those two features make it much more pleasant and effective for me. I'm on my seventh mask style, currently using a Philips Respironics Amara View mask with RemZzzs mask liner. This has my apnea under control--down from 30+ apneas per hour with the BiPAP to averaging about one per hour. I was falling asleep at the breakfast table or in an elevator, but now I'm no longer sleepy during the day.

You are sleepy during the day because you have sleep apnea. Untreated sleep apnea is also associated with weight gain, and is very hard on your heart over time. This often also prevents you from having much REM sleep, which is when you dream, and when your body excretes the most HGH (human growth hormone) which in adults is important for healing of tissue injury including skin wounds. When did you last try to use a CPAP machine and mask?? There have been significant advances in this equipment in the last few years. The Respironics Amara View mask is great for mouth breathers, and if you don't mouth breathe, a nasal pillow mask is much more comfortable. The machines have also gotten quieter. Check out the ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I use the mouthpiece. It moves the lower jaw and tongue forward in order to keep your tongue out of the way of breathing.

I have a really hard time sleeping because of pain. I t keeps me awake most nights. I tried the CPAP machine this past summer and found it to annoying on top of what I already have to put up with. I have full function and move all day as I have a hard time sitting still but I am still not tired by the end of the day.