Thread: Skin protection

Skin protection

I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion once in a while. Usually don't need it. But maybe it's a good idea to apply something daily before it's needed. What do you use to protect your skin?

Prevention is the best protection.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion once in a while. Usually don't need it. But maybe it's a good idea to apply something daily before it's needed. What do you use to protect your skin?
    I use a small mirror and check myself every morning after my shower. Prevention is the best protection. So what ever you use and it is working, stick with it but check you butt everyday.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Really nothing you put on the surface of the skin can prevent pressure injuries. It is a falacy that you can "toughen" the skin like this. On the other hand, it is much easier to get skin breakdown on skin that is too dry, so a moisturizer, ideally one that is high in urea content, may be a good idea in dry skin areas. If you want to protect your skin from moisture (which can make it more vulnerable to breakdown) then there are a number of good skin barriers that can be used in the genital area (for urinary incontinence) or around the anus and buttocks (for fecal incontinence or diarrhea), and some that will help with wicking away moisture/sweat from skin folds as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.