Thread: Refuse BiPAP

Refuse BiPAP

Hello,
    Do I have the right to Refuse BiPAP? I don't know why I wouldn't.. But I welcome any feedback.
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Do you want to provide a little more context? Seems like it could go either way.

Very hard to answer without knowing:
    1. Why you need or might need BiPAP?
    2. Where you are located (country and probably state/province if you're North American)?
    3. What you hope refusing BiPAP will accomplish.

If you are legally competent, you have the right to refuse any medical treatment or procedure if you are in the USA. With an incomplete profile, it is difficult to give more specific answers though.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Do you want to provide a little more context? Seems like it could go either way.

Very hard to answer without knowing:
    1. Why you need or might need BiPAP? I guess my body retains CO2 and have been hospitalized before for it. So I was prescribed one.
    2. Where you are located (country and probably state/province if you're North American)? Minnesota, USA
    3. What you hope refusing BiPAP will accomplish.One of two things. To die from CO2 poisoning or at least shorten my lifespan.
    thanks
    Last edited by MagikLair; 02-12-2018 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you are legally competent, you have the right to refuse any medical treatment or procedure if you are in the USA. With an incomplete profile, it is difficult to give more specific answers though.

(KLD)
    Okay thanks for the feedback
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

If you need a Bipap over a Cpap machine; you have serious Sleep Apnea. I fell asleep at the wheel and drove into a ditch because of SA. I didn't realize I had it until I took the test. It was so serious I was prescribed a Bipap. I used to wake up every 20 minutes or so and fall back asleep, not a sound one though. Also snored alot or stopped breathing for a brief time thruout the night. Once I got a Bipap, I sleep soundly thru the night and have a lot more energy during the day.

Sleep Apnea is not to be taken lightly. Of course you can refuse it.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 02-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.

i was the same way patrick but sadly unable to tolerate the machine. i am a bit better using oxygen at night not the same as the machine but it has gotten a bit better and i am able to maintain my o2 levels better at night with it as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Certainly sounds like you can refuse BiPap, although it's a pretty poor way to end your life... depending on how bad it is and what else you've got going on it could take decades to actually cause your death and it's going to make life even more miserable during those decades.

I'd wager 70% of people who are prescribed CPAP or BiPAP don't use it regularly because they find it too cumbersome and inconvenient, I doubt anyone would bat an eye if you said you weren't going to do it.

Not clear if this is being recommended for you due to general respiratory insufficency (a step down from a ventilator) or due to sleep apnea. Can you elaborate on this??

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.