Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need hand controls ramp van rental from LAX

Need hand controls ramp van rental from LAX

So far I can find hand controls but no ramp or ramp without hand controls.
    I suppose I'll likely have to just get a big car with hand controls and break down my chair...
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Some used portables from ebay, a roll of 3M doublesided tape, and youre good to go with anything

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Some used portables from ebay, a roll of 3M doublesided tape, and youre good to go with anything
    I need ample room and not sure I can transfer into a van... Guess I'll start practicing.

I think Andy was suggesting putting portable hand controls onto a ramp van.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I think Andy was suggesting putting portable hand controls onto a ramp van.

(KLD)
    Doh. Of course. The fact that they don't offer them is concerning; does their contact prohibit them? I'll ask. Then there's the transfer to the driver's seat issue. I've transferred across my center console between my front seats, but from back to front with/without a center console could be pretty tricky. I think most paras that transfer have seats that rotate, yes?

Why a ramp van? And if not a ramp van...from what I have seen the transfers to minivans look really annoying. Unless you get a Transit Connect, but I don't think they rent those. I think a Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger is standard rental fare, and looks like the doors open wide for easy enough chair disassembly. Havent tried one personally, but the doors do open wide, which is good. And its big for easy wheelchair stowage either in front or back

eta: I'm pretty sure they rent Challengers too. Now there is a real functional para car...and you can be cool like me! Ok, not nearly as cool, you'd be renting a V6 model probably. And your politics are questionable

I know Wheelers doesn't have an office in LA so they dont have them but Mobility works of Beverly Hills has a van they can add them too!

https://www.mobilityworks.com/mobili...y-hills-ca.php

If you dont need a ramp van it will be a lot cheaper also!!

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...allengedUS.jsp

https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/c...abilities.html

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rent...abilities.html

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Why a ramp van? And if not a ramp van...from what I have seen the transfers to minivans look really annoying. Unless you get a Transit Connect, but I don't think they rent those. I think a Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger is standard rental fare, and looks like the doors open wide for easy enough chair disassembly. Havent tried one personally, but the doors do open wide, which is good. And its big for easy wheelchair stowage either in front or back

eta: I'm pretty sure they rent Challengers too. Now there is a real functional para car...and you can be cool like me! Ok, not nearly as cool, you'd be renting a V6 model probably. And your politics are questionable
    I've got 4 people with a week's worth of luggage and all my gimp stuff (travel shower/commode chair)...

Thanks Roll Positive. I'll likely go non-van if I can find something larger enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I've got 4 people with a week's worth of luggage and all my gimp stuff (travel shower/commode chair)...
    We fly a lot and never rent its way to expensive we use public transportation and or dial a ride or light rain and train in LA.

We are flying to LAX next week for Ability Expo and take light rail right to downtown LA.

https://www.abilities.com/losangeles/

Then take dial a ride from downtown to Farmers Market/ The Grove, Light rail to Santa Monica beach/ 3rd st Promenade, Light rail to Universal studios/Hollywood.

Not sure if your staying at a hotel they would have a shower chair and ada toilet, if not one can always ship that to a hotel?

Last go to your local rental they will let you check out cars and vans you might be renting in LA to see how you fit and match your needs. Would you be able to transfer to a standard van or someone else drive and try stow and go seating you can store one seat (middle) in the floor and put your chair there ?