Thread: Funding for PT in Canada for 2.5 year old

Funding for PT in Canada for 2.5 year old

We currently do not have any PT support in Canada, nor does insurance cover it. We also do not have a place that specializes in SCI in kids.

I want to take my son to Frazier Institute in Kentucky for rehab but it is very expensive. I'm having a hard time finding grants of financial assistance for Canada. Anyone have any ideas whom I can reach out to?

Have you explored going to one of the Shriner's Childrens' Hospitals with SCI Centers in the USA instead? The closest to you would probably be the one in Chicago. Where in Canada are you located?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes, we have gone there and are going again for two weeks. They are fantastic but the problem is they only provide one therapist at a time, which makes it hard to do locomotive training, and they only provide two weeks every 5 months or so.

you originally recommended them to me, and they have been amazingly helpful, and it gave me the courage to reach outside of Canada for other help as well. We are so so limited here for therapy in the pediatric population for SCI.

You should be able to get OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) to pay for it if you can't get the treatments here. You get the forms from your MP. You doc should have known this and informed you?

Otherwise, it's a gofundme and Project Walk maybe?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

It also might be worth checking out Neuroworx in Salt Lake City - they do a lot of work with children, especially on the locomat and in therapy pools as well as overground, and they are very resourceful. SLC is very child-friendly.

I am fairly certain you are aware of Hollard Bloorview Kids Rehab and likely have looked into it, but in the off chance they can help and you are unaware of them:

http://www.hollandbloorview.ca/

Contact them to discuss your wee lads specific needs for rehabilitation and see if they can help or offer some direction?

I do know that Winnipeg (shudders,I hate Winnipeg) has great rehab programs as well but am unsure if they have a specific pediatric rehab program for folks with SCI? A very good friend of mine was an OT there and i will reach out to her and see if she has any advice to offer?

https://rccinc.ca/

That is about all I have to offer at this point... more to follow...

We thoughts about OHIP, but because the treatment is technically offered here (rehab) they won't cover it. It's more for surgeries and cancer treatment type situations that are not offered in Canada.

I thought Project Walk is out of pocket as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MomNoah View Post
    We thoughts about OHIP, but because the treatment is technically offered here (rehab) they won't cover it. It's more for surgeries and cancer treatment type situations that are not offered in Canada.

I thought Project Walk is out of pocket as well?
    Where do you live in Ontario? Have you contacted your Local Spinal Cord Injury Ontario office for input? I am a coordinator for Spinal Cord Injury Ontario and could give you the contact information for a coordinator in your area to speak to. They could potentially assist with info and advocacy?

We did go to Holland Bloorview, but the support we have with them for PT/OT is done now.

I did reach out to our coordinator at SCI Ontario and waiting for response.

I am sort of set on finding a way to get to Frazier just because of the difference in the way they treat SCI in children and support you have, the research they have done, and also all the parents I have talked to who have gone from across the world to be there and saw positive results in their little ones - even the chronic SCI.

I would love to be able to stay in Canada, but honestly even Holland Bloorview - which is one of the biggest, if not the biggest rehab for kids in Canada - does not provide the needed SCI rehab that is based on the latest research and the resources to execute that research.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmay View Post
    Where do you live in Ontario? Have you contacted your Local Spinal Cord Injury Ontario office for input? I am a coordinator for Spinal Cord Injury Ontario and could give you the contact information for a coordinator in your area to speak to. They could potentially assist with info and advocacy?