Thread: Bowel Accident in Chair?

Bowel Accident in Chair?

My daughter had a bowel accident in her chair. Very loose. She did have a brief on but it seeped out of course.

In her 8 years of SCI this has never happened. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check? We've already talked about what she ate today, she did bowel program earlier with good results and I'm just wondering what I'm forgetting?

She had already taken an Imodium before she called me.

I haven't been in the SCI game too long but the only time I've had bowel accidents (knock on wood) has been when I've had a UTI.

Is she showing any symptoms of a UTI?

Could be something she ate, so looking back over the last 24 hours of diet may give a clue.

Also, there is a gastroenteritis going around in my area that has both diarrhea and vomiting for a day or two (it is not the flu). Does she have any nausea?

Any recent hospitalization or course of antibiotics? C. diff could be the culprit.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have the occasional incident like that, almost always coinciding with my periods.

This isn't entirely uncommon for anyone with a SCI, so have her take note of her previous foods, and either avoid them or try them again but prepare for the worst.

Also, it could be from a bug, of sorts.

Good luck. I'm guessing it's one of those flukes.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Thanks for the input. She said she had a really big cath at the end of the day too. It seems to be something she ate though. We've ruled out everything else and she has no nausea. She is boosting her probiotics for a while too. I hope it it was just a fluke but we'll see how it goes the next few days.