Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pharmacy refusing to fill pain pills - PLEASE HELP!

What you're describing seems almost the definition of opioid hyperalgesia. Essentially opioid pain medications sensitize your pain receptors so that any little thing makes your pain intolerable. It sounds like you used to be the kind of guy who could push through anything, but now that you've been on opioid pain medications for a few years "every little tiny thing hurts". A reasonable option would be discontinuing all opioid pain medications.
    I have only been on opiates for 2 months. Before that, I was on Suboxone (a pretty high dose - 12 mg per day) for 2 years. I know Suboxone is only a partial opioid agonist. Is it possible to develop opioid hyperalgesia on Suboxone? Anyways, before a few weeks ago, I was at the point where my pain meds were working and I could at least lay in bed all day (using a "bed desk" to work) without too much pain. However, 2 weekends ago I decided I felt well enough to go out with my friends to a piano bar. I didn't do anything too crazy - just stood all night, and sang at the piano bar - but we were out from about 9 - 2 am. I'm thinking all that standing and walking around for that period of time caused inflammation that may take months to go back down. It sucks because I'm supposed to start my new job programming websites remotely from home in 1 week. If my pain is still this severe, I am going to get fired. I am hoping to at least get a few paychecks out of it before that happens :/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUF View Post
    I have only been on opiates for 2 months. Before that, I was on Suboxone (a pretty high dose - 12 mg per day) for 2 years. I know Suboxone is only a partial opioid agonist. Is it possible to develop opioid hyperalgesia on Suboxone? Anyways, before a few weeks ago, I was at the point where my pain meds were working and I could at least lay in bed all day (using a "bed desk" to work) without too much pain. However, 2 weekends ago I decided I felt well enough to go out with my friends to a piano bar. I didn't do anything too crazy - just stood all night, and sang at the piano bar - but we were out from about 9 - 2 am. I'm thinking all that standing and walking around for that period of time caused inflammation that may take months to go back down. It sucks because I'm supposed to start my new job programming websites remotely from home in 1 week. If my pain is still this severe, I am going to get fired. I am hoping to at least get a few paychecks out of it before that happens :/

http://www.jnsci.org/content/319

"In addition, the eventual return back to baseline on measures of pain phenotype and pressure sensitivity suggests that buprenorphine may over time result in a return of the hyperalgesic effects of a full mu agonist."

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    http://www.jnsci.org/content/319

"In addition, the eventual return back to baseline on measures of pain phenotype and pressure sensitivity suggests that buprenorphine may over time result in a return of the hyperalgesic effects of a full mu agonist."
    But this data is not statistically significant, because the study was too small, so the odds are pretty good it's not a true difference. In fact if you look at the full text the pain scales overlap (some go one way, some go the other), and they don't even bother to list a P value.

There is some evidence of buprenorphine induced OIH in rats (again, not great evidence of how it works in humans).

Hey Johnny, I'm curious how you came to go directly to Suboxone before you ever took pain pills or did heroin or some other opioid? Suboxone has naltrexone in it, which as you probably know will block the effects of opioids (including oxycodone and buprenorphine and heroin) if taken IV, but is not active if taken orally. It seems pretty strange to put someone who is opioid naive on that drug when regular old buprenorphine is also available and half the price. It seems difficult to figure out what exactly your pain doctor's goal is with your treatment plan. (but that's no surprise given the limited information we have about you compared to what your doctor has)

the fact that the only thing your doctor will call in is narcan means your going to be dropped as a pain patient i would think because they think all of your pain is either all in your head and your faking it or because you are maxed out on every drug available. and the fact that opioids are the only drug that works means you really don't need the gabapentin or lyrica because they kind of pain your say you have isn't true nerve pain. as if it was these 2 drugs would be helping even a little bit. also the fact that you have already been on suboxone before any other opioid also says you have had some kind of other drug history as they don't prescribe that readily before trying other 1st line drugs first. my suggestion and don't take this the wrong way is to get into rehab and get off all the pain meds completely. somewhere in your medical chart something has to have been said that you may be a drug seeker at some point in time which is why they aren't keen on filling them. and again don't take this the wrong way as we don't know your history but from what i have personally been thru and know about the medical field either something is missing from the story you are telling us or they really believe you have a problem with drugs.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I'm not weighing in either way about JohnnyUF, how ever having just read/listened to a book called American Pain. I can see why it is so hard to fill any prescription for pain meds!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUF View Post
    And as far as kratom, I just found that out. I just got some and it is quite good. But, alas, the FDA just declared that they are making kratom illegal. Right on up there with other schedule 1 substances like heroin. So, not only are they deciding to make it hard for us to get pain meds, but they are also making it hard for us to get alternative pain supplements. It just keeps getting better
    So far, Kratom is only illegal in Florida in Sarasota County. And if you can’t find any for sale right now in Florida, you can order it from the place I get it in Texas. They ship to all States except where it is illegal. Their Kratom is clean and high quality. Maeng Da is the strain I prefer. I will “private message” you with the name and phone number of the provider I use, because I haven?t ordered any for myself this month, and I don?t want to cause a “run on the bank”.

For lyme disease, again, please look into alternative therapy.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Vintage is right, kratom helped me get off oxys. But I didn't take anywhere near what you're taking. My pain doctors didn't want to prescribe more than 10 mg three times a day... Even though I begged them 4 more.

I got a medtronics pain pump filled with baclofen - my next refill will be with baclofen and morphine. It's the best thing plus don't have to take oral crap pills
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I stopped using Walgreens a year ago because of their incompetence. Did you signa HIPPA release of information to your pharmacist? He has no right to your medical history, diagnoses, medical plan or anything else that is confidential between you and your doctor. find a pharmacy or file a complaint with the Department of Justice.

With all the stuff we have to go through this is just more baloney.

However your original list of drugs seem to have a lot of redundancies for the neurogenic pain. otherwise I know several people who take almost that exact that cocktail for pain control.

However for life simplicity, would start eliminating one at a time to see how effective they are and if they are really necessary.then keep using the ones that are effective and I understand how they act and interact with the other ones, my body and my injury.

Since your pain med plan isn’t working anyway and you have only been on opioids for a few months, maybe try to stick with just the max dose of Lyrica, a combo of extended and fast release Tramadol and a muscle relaxer med. Coupled with careful pain management techniques like pacing yourself, you might find that it works just as good as or even better than what you are presently taking and your doctor and pharmacist will have an easier time accepting this plan.

I’ve learned that your experience at Walgreens is largely dependent on the pharmacist at your specific store and whether you can build a relationship with that person. Sometimes you have to switch stores/pharmacists. I have better luck at the less busy stores where I can get some in person interaction with the pharmacist.

For the education of others on this forum, it’s not true that opioids don’t help with neuro pain. I ‘ve learned this from 10 plus years of dealing with neuro pain and know how I’ve felt on the rare occasion when I took my Lyrica but not Tramadol. Still, the Lyrica is the main drug I take for neuro pain and the Tramadol is secondary and mainly for muscular/skeletal pain and added mobility.

good luck.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I'm one of the unfortunate people whose pain was not helped by opioids, and I was tried on several different ones. Opioids aren't alone-no other type of medication is helped, either.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.