Thread: Standard front fork vs Suspension front fork

Standard front fork vs Suspension front fork

Has anyone tried both of these front forks on a wheelchair? Does suspension fork make a noticeable difference?

Is a Frog Leg Suspension fork better than TiLites Glide fork suspension?
    Last edited by Donnaz; 02-07-2018 at 11:08 AM.

I've used both so here's my humble opinion.

In my opinion they're not worth it. Do they absorb a little shock? Maybe, but they aren't the be-all answer for hitting bumps and gliding over them.

I think they're just heavier, a little bit of an eye sore, more money... I though I had one more thought. Guess not. So that's it. I think those negatives far out weigh them absorbing a little shock.
    As far as which one is better, I've only used the FL one.
    Just my two cents.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I tend to prefer Frog Legs over rigid casters as a whole, but both have their pros and cons.

I prefer the overall smoother ride.

One thing to note, after 15 years of using them, is that Frog Legs claim of "provide the front casters the ability to lift back, up and over obstacles to minimize pitching." I find to be opposite of the truth at low speeds and hitting ridges. I've actually been tossed out of the front at a low speed impact from hitting a small bump I otherwise would have just popped right over with a rigid caster. And that makes sense, if you think about it, if you are going slow enough and if the ridge is the right size, the suspension can fully compress and not force the wheel to roll over therefore stopping the chair. Whereas a rigid fork can't absorb and has no choice but to go over the ridge.

I have some 5 inch soft rolls, that I bought on here from someone. They aren't like a 5 inch you get now. They have the 4 inch rim with a bigger tire. They absorb a lot of stuff with no drama. If they still made them I'd get more. When I get in my other chair with "razor scooter" wheels it beats the hell out of me, by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I have some 5 inch soft rolls, that I bought on here from someone. They aren't like a 5 inch you get now. They have the 4 inch rim with a bigger tire. They absorb a lot of stuff with no drama. If they still made them I'd get more. When I get in my other chair with "razor scooter" wheels it beats the hell out of me, by comparison.
    I think Frog Legs still makes those. They're called "Double Soft-Rolls". Smaller hub, thicker urethane.

I have tilite glide fork. Enjoy them . I have not had anything else to compare except old reg. Wheelchair. In which. Everything was night and day.
    Non-traumatic SCI. Art, Poetry, and the Great Outdoors; these are my passions. My motto: Paint much love, always ~ Connie

I have had three TR's, the first two had FrogLeg suspension forks and my current has the OutFront suspension forks. I can't say I noticed any real difference between the two. I would be very curious how my chair performed without them. There are times I feel them work, like rolling out to my barn and there is a small lip going into the barn, very small, I can feel them give as they glide over. It would be very interesting to lock them out and see the difference.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982