Thread: endless bladder stones

endless bladder stones

anyone have experience with recurring bladder stones/i am on my 5th with only 3 months between the last 3. they cause bugs to grow and i end up on antibiotics each time. i do renacidin and irrigation, it keeps the cath from clogging but sure doesn't keep stones away. my urologist has no preventitive advice,maybe there is none. so i will have my 5th surgery to remove it next week. Gets frustrating! anyone else deal with this? i am 28 yrs post, suprapublic cath.

17 years post and I only had that problem in my first few years. I only drink water, a lot, especially in the summer. No soda. I have one beer a day, and two cups of coffee, one in the AM and one in PM. Never irrigated my SP.

I had a history of kidney stones prior to injury - calcium oxalate mostly. My then-urologist told me to try tart cherry capsules, which are often helpful to folks with gout, but I couldn’t find anything about helping with oxalate so I was skeptical. Also pretty desperate so I tried it and was stone free for a number of years. Got hurt, wound up on Coumadin, couldn’t take tart cherry, developed kidney and bladder stones and miserable recurrent utis. Off Coumadin got right back on tart cherry, no stones since. This may well be pure coincidence or placebo effect, but I have found tart cherry in capsule form to be very effective.

Indwelling catheters do increase your risks for bladder stones. It may be that you are also genetically predisposed to be a "stone former". Do you have any family members who have had urinary stones? Do you live in a "stone belt" state?

Has your urologist analyzed the stones to determine what type they are? Calcium oxalate stones are most common, but there are other types, including calcium phosphate, uric acid, and struvite stones. Knowing the type of stone may point to some appropriate preventive measures.

How much fluid do you take daily? What type?

You may need to have more frequent than usual imaging (ultrasound) studies to detect stones and then get them removed. How often is your urologist recommending that you have this done?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had multiple stones 3 years in a row. I have a mitrofanoff with augmentation.
    Since my last blasting:
    I irrigate with Saline every day
    Drink 16oz of strong lemon water - 1/2 lemon (use a straw, lemon eats enamel off teeth
    Gave up coffee completely (though I have a chai latte every now & then)
    Never drink beer
    Take cranberry capsules

So far, so good - 1 year later.
    Good luck!
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

my stone is struvite--i drink about 60 ounces water, 2 cups coffee, then 1 diet pop. i am xrayed every 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by bnb View Post
    my stone is struvite--i drink about 60 ounces water, 2 cups coffee, then 1 diet pop. i am xrayed every 3 months
    Coffee is a known contributor to bladder stones. Soda, diet or not, is really bad for you in general.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bnb View Post
    Diet has little to do with struvite stones, which are nearly always infected, but are associated with indwelling catheter use. I would recommend increasing your intake of water though, and avoid sodas.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.