Thread: Stupid wheelchair "accident"

Stupid wheelchair "accident"

I usually wear a leg strap when I'm in my electric chair, but decided not to one day because I was at home and didn't think it necessary.

I notice my chair pulling to the left: my foot is wedged behind the caster. I had someone there who also couldn't free it, it was tightly wedged in. I wasn't sure how much pressure was being delivered so I wound up calling 911. It took three strong guys to free the foot. It took them about a minute. (Might have had a glass of wine earlier).

My foot was a bit bruised, but the only real damage was to my ego. It was embarrassing to sit there looking like someone who can't even drive a chair, and they send over a full fire truck with lights flashing and an ambulance.

Sorry. You should have an Xray of your foot to see if you broke anything. Watch out for any AD due to this as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have done that a few times, which is why Ialways wear shoes for some protection. I generally pull the pin on the foot rest and can then get my foot out. I thought about the doctor, but if it was broken they would put me in a boot or cast and tell me to stay off it. Lol so I skipped it and just kept a eye on it and in a short boot. I fortunately have not had any ad issues in my 3 years

That would have been terrifying. I have caught blankets in those little castors which is a PITA~
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sorry. You should have an Xray of your foot to see if you broke anything. Watch out for any AD due to this as well.

(KLD)
    I didn’t get an X Ray, but my foot is now swollen, and slightly red in the outer side. No A.D. though.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 02-10-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Please see a physician! You may have sustained a fracture, and the redness in your foot could be early cellulitis. If so, it is best to catch it and treat it early.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I’ll see one as soon as possible. The redness is minimal, to me this looks like the DVT I had in the same leg seven years ago. Swelling in foot, maybe leg, compared to other foot/leg. I hope it’s not that because I hated taking Coumadin, which I was on for a while, before the Coumadin had really dangerous side effects and landed me in the hospital for weeks.

Edit: had it checked out, just an ankle sprain.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 02-13-2018 at 02:04 AM.