Thread: Good mattress for quadriplegic with shoulder pain?

Good mattress for quadriplegic with shoulder pain?

Anybody have any suggestions for a good mattress, preferably an alternating pressure air mattress, for a C-4 ? C-5 quadriplegic? I'm coming from a Stage IV 3000 Plus from Tridien, which was pretty good but they break down a lot and are expensive to get serviced. My DME brought out a SpanAmerica, which I slept on for four nights, but my shoulders are killing me after doing so.

I wish I could sleep on my back but any attempt I've made to do so over the years has failed miserably. I just can't do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

A alternating air mattress or overlay is not going to be as pressure reducing as a low air loss mattress. Suggest you look at other LAL mattresses, including turning ones (if you can afford it). The turning types can usually be set for side-to-side turns only without any back (supine) dwell time. Which SpanAmerica mattress did you try (they make several)?

Also, keep in mind that Medicare will not cover a Type II mattress like this for prevention...only if you still have an open/healing pressure ulcer.

Some to consider include:

• microAir MA 65 (Invacare)
    • SelectAir LAL mattress (Roho)
    • Altus Pro (Meridian)
    • Comfort Cloud (Hudson Medical)
    • RecoverAir 3000 (Joerns)

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A alternating air mattress or overlay is not going to be as pressure reducing as a low air loss mattress. Suggest you look at other LAL mattresses, including turning ones (if you can afford it). The turning types can usually be set for side-to-side turns only without any back (supine) dwell time. Which SpanAmerica mattress did you try (they make several)?

Also, keep in mind that Medicare will not cover a Type II mattress like this for prevention...only if you still have an open/healing pressure ulcer.

Some to consider include:

• microAir MA 65 (Invacare)
    • SelectAir LAL mattress (Roho)
    • Altus Pro (Meridian)
    • Comfort Cloud (Hudson Medical)
    • RecoverAir 3000 (Joerns)

(KLD)

Thank you so much for the response. The SpanAmerica mattress and using is the Custom Care Convertible. It has the control unit as well. Even on its softest setting I'm experiencing shoulder pain. My DME is bringing out some sort of overlay, probably tomorrow, that he says will help but I have my doubts.

If that overlay doesn't help I will point him towards these suggestions, all of which looked pretty good to me, especially the SelectAir one. I actually have private insurance so I may have a chance to get one of those.

I will follow up on this, in this thread, if I can.

Thanks again.

Paul
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

The mattress is one thing; the pillow is another. You may want a pillow that cuts out or shelves the shoulders all or partially, and some also shelve the arm in side sleeping.

Here is an example that some quads have used, but you can find lots more on Amazon or wherever by searching on shoulder pillow, CPAP pillow, etc.

Good point, renard. Using a flat foam pillow under the trunk (from the arm pit to the waist) on the side you are laying on also can take considerable pressure off the shoulder.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by renard View Post
    The mattress is one thing; the pillow is another. You may want a pillow that cuts out or shelves the shoulders all or partially, and some also shelve the arm in side sleeping.

Here is an example that some quads have used, but you can find lots more on Amazon or wherever by searching on shoulder pillow, CPAP pillow, etc.
    I actually do use something like that. It does help quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But thank you for the suggestion. I may have to try that one as well!

Paul
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    deleted.
    Last edited by dnvrdave; 03-12-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Definitely check into the Invacare product good product. I sell Dme have been for 20 plus years. It's a great product and very few service calls actually only one in all these years good luck!

Good stuff. Thanks!

Yor,
    In addition to the mattress and pillow suggestions offered earlier, there is also a "Vicair Mattress 415" (in the USA it can be obtained through the Comfort Company's dealers) that may help your shoulder pain situation. The Vicair Mattress 415 is essentially a mattress-sized Vicair wheechair cushion. Note that calling the Comfort Company's customer service folks will likely not result in much information about this item - it's also not on the Comfort Company's website. The Vicair Mattress 415 can; however, be ordered via a Comfort Company dealer. The price is just under $2k and the lead time on this mattress is quite lengthy.