Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unclearable ESBL Klebsiella pneumoniae UTI

Are you getting adequate nutrients in hospital? Food in Canada comes in pails ... at least in Windsor. I've half a mind to start a farm (or greenhouse in our case) to bedside program here. Meals on Wheels would be better than what they serve in hospital!

Probiotics? Drinking adequately? Hospitals can be dry - humidifier? Do you have family able to help? Just curious what state you're in.
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please add that to your profile.

(KLD)
    Added the information for you. Wanted to give you an update:

CT scan showed thickened bladder wall with calcification, and an enlarged prostate. My personal etiologic diagnosis is bacterial encrusted cystitis. It is pretty rare, but urology agrees that it could be it.

I'm finishing up a 7 day course of IV ertapenem tomorrow. 4 days ago they also started me on fosfomycin every 48 hours which will likely switch to once every 10 days once the ertapenem is discontinued. They want me to remain on the fosfomycin for 6 months. I also started yesterday with a amikacin bladder irrigation twice per day for 15 minutes. I believe I'll be doing that 3 times a week for 6 months as well.

After all this, they want me to get a full urodynamic workup (I've never had one), but they want to wait for me to complete the entire course of antibiotics first. Hopefully the infection will be gone for good after all of this. I've also thought about doing Microcyn instillations after these antibiotics as a prophylactic measure a couple of times per week.

Does all this sound good to you?

Forgot to ask what your bladder management method is. Reflex voiding? Indwelling catheter? Intermittent catheterization?

A thickened bladder wall can be trabeculation from a high pressure bladder. An enlarged prostate can be due to prostatitis.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I instill microcyn twice a day, maybe for four years now. I think I have had a couple of minor infections during that time. Before that I was always infected and only intravenous antibiotics were sensitve.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Do you have someone to go through this with you? Family friends etc? I was telling my sister about you because I am the original pressure sore queen. Everyone thinks I have undiscovered diabetes because our mother had a wound that wouldn't heal and it was diabetes leading to an eventual amputation. Now my brother has an amputation and the other brother has diabetes.

I do not. I test at least three times per week. But right now, I have a split on my back that just won't heal and it's crawling up to where I can feel. Never without a wound!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I instill microcyn twice a day, maybe for four years now. I think I have had a couple of minor infections during that time. Before that I was always infected and only intravenous antibiotics were sensitve.
    Yes, this has been my experience as well.