Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tires

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Generally the black bicycle tires contain carbon, which is what gives them extra grip/traction. They hardly mark when dry, but once they are broken in , worn and then wet they'll leave carbon residue tracks. upside is they don't slide anywhere nearly as badly as non-marking tires. I've been banned from running them in the house, now have indoor and outdoor wheels/tires etc.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I have pretty much been running bike tires on my chair for years now and while I have noticed in McDonald's they do tend to leave tracks on the floor it seems to be mostly dirt and It only happens at McDonald's not Walmart or any other store nor at my house. I hand cycle as a means of transportation most of the time and bicycle tires seem to last longer the last set I bought lasted I think 8000 plus miles.

I wish things were as straight foward as 26 x 1 being 590. Most of the time my experience has been that in the store 26 x 1 will be a 559 as will a tube marked 26 x whatever will be a 559 at somewhere like Walmart Target etc... If you want a tube for a 590 the box will most likely be marked 26 and 3 speed. Probably none of the tires at a place like walmart or a bike shop that are 26 x whatever will be 590 the only 26 that would be a 590 would be marked 26 x 1 3/8. But that is why you need to look for the size in MM's instead of inches.

Like I said I really have not had a problem with bicycle tires marking the floor. Not sure about walls as I don't bump into walls with my tires. I may have early on but 27 years later it is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Generally the black bicycle tires contain carbon, which is what gives them extra grip/traction. They hardly mark when dry, but once they are broken in , worn and then wet they'll leave carbon residue tracks. upside is they don't slide anywhere nearly as badly as non-marking tires. I've been banned from running them in the house, now have indoor and outdoor wheels/tires etc.
    That is interesting because I do not seem to see any difference wet or dry. Other than the wet trails I leave usually has dirt mixed in. We had hardwood floors at the other house and we have Laminate at the new place and no marking. At Walmart or places like that no marking either but at Mcdonalds sometimes there is marking but nothing that is not easily mopped away anyway. I have run some bike tires that seem to mark up Mcdonald's floor really bad but still not the other places or my home.

I have been running these for a couple of years now http://www.wiggle.com/schwalbe-marat...mtb-city-tire/

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    As a wheelchair user I can be oblivious.
    but the true test is if you have folks running around the house in bare feet, or white socks.
    Their feet will be black.. you may not see much on the floor..
    But when I switch out to non-marking tires and have the floors cleaned... everyone's feet stay clean.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    That is interesting because I do not seem to see any difference wet or dry. Other than the wet trails I leave usually has dirt mixed in. We had hardwood floors at the other house and we have Laminate at the new place and no marking. At Walmart or places like that no marking either but at Mcdonalds sometimes there is marking but nothing that is not easily mopped away anyway. I have run some bike tires that seem to mark up Mcdonald's floor really bad but still not the other places or my home.

I have been running these for a couple of years now http://www.wiggle.com/schwalbe-marat...mtb-city-tire/