Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Tires

Where is the best place to get wheelchair tires

Quote Originally Posted by cwa67 View Post
    It varies depending on circumstance and needs. Define what you mean by "best".
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm looking for good tires for a good price they are 26 x 1 which are a little hard to find

Those are the same as 26" bicycle tires. Any bike store will carry this size, which you will also see as size 559. Bike stores will likely have a wider variety of offerings. Shop around. Different stores will have different prices depending on how wide or narrow and what kind of tread.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    When sizing wheels and tires, DO NOT use inches. Only use ETRTO sizing. ETRTO is an international standard of sizing.
    Look for a number like "25-540" on the side of your tire. The larger number (540 in this case) is the diameter.

This is because several different ETRTO sizes of wheel and tire are called 24" depending on its use.
    And 559 ETRTO size is called both 25" for wheelchairs and 26" for bikes.

ONLY use the ETRTO sizes when measuring and purchasing wheels and tires or you could buy items that don't fit or have trouble finding thins in the correct ETRTO size.
    See this thread for how only measuring in inches can cause problems.
    Last edited by brian; 02-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by cwa67 View Post
    solid? pneumatic?

tires made for wheelchairs are generally nonmarking rubber for when they're used on floors.
    bicycle tires are made for outside, and tend to mark floors.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    If it has 26 x 1 stamped on the tire . Then they are more likely 590 's and not 559's and will be much harder to source at a store.
    Get mine here https://www.schwalbe.com/en/

25 x 1 are 559's

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    If it has 26 x 1 stamped on the tire . Then they are more likely 590 's and not 559's and will be much harder to source at a store.
    Get mine here https://www.schwalbe.com/en/

25 x 1 are 559's
    Check their closeout sections often. The tire type you want might not be there, but the price will be right.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

yes 559's are for wheelchair wheels which are 25" and most mountain bikes tyres will fit 25" wheelchair wheels that are 559, more options at lower prices not just more range

I have pretty much been running bike tires on my chair for years now and while I have noticed in McDonald's they do tend to leave tracks on the floor it seems to be mostly dirt and It only happens at McDonald's not Walmart or any other store nor at my house. I hand cycle as a means of transportation most of the time and bicycle tires seem to last longer the last set I bought lasted I think 8000 plus miles.

I wish things were as straight foward as 26 x 1 being 590. Most of the time my experience has been that in the store 26 x 1 will be a 559 as will a tube marked 26 x whatever will be a 559 at somewhere like Walmart Target etc... If you want a tube for a 590 the box will most likely be marked 26 and 3 speed. Probably none of the tires at a place like walmart or a bike shop that are 26 x whatever will be 590 the only 26 that would be a 590 would be marked 26 x 1 3/8. But that is why you need to look for the size in MM's instead of inches.

Like I said I really have not had a problem with bicycle tires marking the floor. Not sure about walls as I don't bump into walls with my tires. I may have early on but 27 years later it is not a problem.