Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colstomy

Keeping the abdominal wall very clean is important once someone has an augment and catheterizes through an umbilical stoma. I would be concerned about any bowel bacteria migrating from the colostomy site, however inadvertently, that could either lead to cross-contamination of the catheterization site or even from inadvertent contact with one's hand which would then lead to contamination of the catheter.

My mitro stoma is lower right abdomen, not umbilical. If colostomy was on left, I could keep them very separate, I think. Do you have a colostomy, Crags?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Colostomy; ?seems like you 're just substituting one problem with another?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Colostomy; ?seems like you 're just substituting one problem with another?
    How so?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

I'm C5-6 and got a colostomy 10-11 years ago. No more long BP nights, no more accidents that I can't mange. I've had my bag leak several times and have been able to handle cleanup myself, whether I'm in a bathroom or in a hunting blind in the woods. I recently switched to a newer bag and haven't had any leakage in 3 months.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I'm a c7, 29 years post SCI, and got mine in 1994. I have no regrets. It isn't perfect but is very doable. It is a serious quality of life improver in my book.

I've had my colostomy for 4 years. I'm a c3c4 quad. It takes less than 5 minutes to change. I can't explain how much easier it is vs a bowel routine. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    How so?
    From what I see, unless you can perform your own care for it you're only creating a maintenance issue for yourself.
    It does not prevent constipation, only puts the shit up front, not "behind"

It's no game changer for quads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    It's no game changer for quads.
    It was a game changer for me, and I suspect many other quads from what I've read on this site over the years. Do you have one/ I'm curious why you say that?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein