Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative powerchair controls e.g. mini joystick experiences and mousing

Question Alternative powerchair controls e.g. mini joystick experiences and mousing

Any experiences with mini joysticks or other 'light' joysticks? I have a condition which causes hypotonia and I'm having a lot of difficulty driving my (Permobil F5) any distance. I've tried different ways of mounting it and that's improved my stamina a bit, but not a lot. I think I'm going to order some kind of alternative control, but I'm not sure which one. Other than price, are there any downsides to them? For example, are they less precise than a regular joystick? Or anything else I should be aware of? It seems there is basically no way to 'try before you buy' so any experiences of either R-net's own offering's or the offerings from mo-vis, both the 'mini' and the 'light' (the latter is lighter than a regular joystick, but not as light as the mini) would be much appreciated... like all these things I don't want to make an expensive mistake. I've searched the forums and there isn't a lot here about these controls so I'd most welcome any experiences or pointers towards other spaces where there are people with experiences of these controls.

Any experiences with the R-net bluetooth mouse module with either option?

If you want to replace the joystick handle on the R-net control modules Body Point has a range of joysticks from which to choose.
    https://www.bodypoint.com/ECommerce/...ystick-handles

Many durable medical equipment suppliers have a demo board from Body Point with all of the joystick handles that are offered.

Not sure I'm on point with your question. A picture of your current set up might be helpful for us to understand what you are trying to replace.

You should try different options.
    The mini joystick only moves about 1/8", from center to full speed, with something like 5 grams of force-not very much, so might be difficult to control, if your hand is bouncing at all from vibrations, or anything.
    Lite touch joysticks look like a regular one, but require a lot less force.
    You might also try having the chair programming changed, so you don't require full JS travel, to get full speed.
    (That would be a very inexpensive thing to try.)
    Position can make a huge difference, sometimes, more midline is easier.
    Not sure about your chair, but Permobil does offer an armrest, that can swivel inwards, some, that might help.
    Your provider should be able to get some options for you to try, from the local Permobil rep, if they don't have them, on hand.

Hey Ringuy,
    Are you in some way associated with Permobil? I see from your profile that you are in Tennessee, possibly Nashville, where Permobil is headquartered? But, there is no indication in your profile that you have a spinal cord injury.

You seem quite knowledgeable about the various joystick options and operations.

If you have information to share, all of us who use Permobil products look forward to more input from you.

Thanks for posting!

Hey gjnl if you look at his previous posts he does talk about having a T6 S I just FYI. No need to jump on people's ass for not having their profiles filled out to your liking lol

Sorry, but the way I read gjnl's post, he wasn't "jumping on his ass."

I've got a Switch It micro guide on my day chair, chin control. Dynamic Controls DX joystick on my off road chair and replaced with a mo vis short throw for a short while. Both the short throw joystick are a lot more sensitive and require more care when driving, you might need to reprogram I tried this on my off road wheelchair and still couldn't get comfortable so reverted to DX. You also need to watch the changes they can make, DX had a restrictor plate which stopped me pulling away at high speed with steering lock applied, mo vis didn't have it so I could pull away quickly with lock on. It is all trial and error and I would look for a good dealer to try the options, don't buy without trying!

Quote Originally Posted by jscrog View Post
    Hey gjnl if you look at his previous posts he does talk about having a T6 S I just FYI. No need to jump on people's ass for not having their profiles filled out to your liking lol
    gjnl is right. We have asked that all members, including jscrog, add some information in their profile about whether or not they have a SCI/D, and what the level of injury is. We also ask that they include their age, where they live, and their gender. This helps put both questions and comments into perspective for other users. It is not reasonable to expect members to search through members' old posts to find this information.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I don't see a place for my age, on my profile, so I didn't list it. It changes constantly though

Ido have a T-6 spinal cord injury, (MVA, if you want to know), since 1959, as stated on my profile. I havebeen involved with the repair/support of many brands and models of power andmanual chairs since 1974.
    The product information I posted earlieris not secret. it is available through any provider, Permobil rep, oreven on the order forms on the Permobil website. But if the consumerdoesn't know about them, or even to ask, (or ask the wrong person), they willnever know.
    I'm just here to share information, when I have something, I thinkmight help. I've seen and done a lot, over the years, as a wheelchair
    consumer and in the industry, but I don't have all theanswers. That’s why these forums are so useful, for sharing information."
    It's impossible, and irresponsible to make a specific recommendation, without actually seeing someone and their exact situation/ability. The technology is changing, and new options are made available quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by rlnguy View Post
    I don't see a place for my age, on my profile, so I didn't list it. It changes constantly though

Ido have a T-6 spinal cord injury, (MVA, if you want to know), since 1959, as stated on my profile. I havebeen involved with the repair/support of many brands and models of power andmanual chairs since 1974.
    The product information I posted earlieris not secret. it is available through any provider, Permobil rep, oreven on the order forms on the Permobil website. But if the consumerdoesn't know about them, or even to ask, (or ask the wrong person), they willnever know.
    I'm just here to share information, when I have something, I thinkmight help. I've seen and done a lot, over the years, as a wheelchair
    consumer and in the industry, but I don't have all theanswers. That's why these forums are so useful, for sharing information."
    It's impossible, and irresponsible to make a specific recommendation, without actually seeing someone and their exact situation/ability. The technology is changing, and new options are made available quite often.
    Glad to have you here to share your knowledge. Sorry you had to see some of our grittier, argumentative side so early in your association here. But, you just learn how to roll. No pun intended!

The profile doesn't ask for your age, as such...it asks for date of birth 2/1/52, for instance. When you look on the home page of Care Cure Community. Birthday's are listed there by age appropriate to that year, so your age changes with every year. Ringuy (56) for instance. You have several options for displaying your birthdate, age, or not having it displayed at all, and only visible to Admin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.