Thread: Ensure-only diet?

Ensure-only diet?

I had a rectum laceration around two weeks ago, I underwent a small surgery where it was partially cauterized. I was discharged from hospital with a regular diet and no special orders to rest. A few days later, before passing some stool, the rectum bled like hell dropping my hemoglobin from 11 to 8.

The colorectal surgeon suggested that if every time I pass stool I get this kind of bleeding, he'll need to do a colostomy to prevent stool from going through he rectum. I want to do anything I can to prevent a colostomy; I know a colostomy is not the end of the world and I know some of you guys have it and your lives have improved since you have it but I still want to avoid it.

A nutritionist told me I can stay for just a week or two on a liquid diet, consisting mainly on Ensure, to minimize the amount of stool and therefore allow for the rectum to heal. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Interesting feedback from dietician give it a try see what happens
    colostomy is a good idea maybe it could just be temporary while anus heals
    time will tell

keep us posted

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-01-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The thing is Ensure has an excess of vitamins so I don't want to get an overdose of them.

Quote Originally Posted by C5C6 View Post
    The thing is Ensure has an excess of vitamins so I don't want to get an overdose of them.
    If you aren't taking any other vitamin supplements and you aren't eating any other foods from which you would derive vitamin content, I doubt you would be getting an overdose of vitamins.

Considering all the reports of health issues in the development of "Soylent" (meant to be a sole source of calories) I seriously doubt this is a good idea.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I did a quick internet search for "ensure diet." I found a few references to consuming an all liquid diet during flare ups of Crohn's disease to give the intestinal tract a rest. These diets included clear broth, tea, fruit juices without pulp, frozen fruit pops without fruit bits, and nutritional supplements like Ensure, Boost, and Glucerna. The liquid diet was very temporary, maybe a week or two, then low residue foods were added back into the diet as they were tolerated. Maybe something like this is what the dietitian mentioned above had in mind for C5C6.

That sounds much more reasonable.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Keep in mind that stool is not just the residue of food eaten, but also contains things like dead cells from the lining of the gut, bile, etc. An all Ensure (or other liquid) diet will not guarantee that you don't pass formed stool.

Do you actually have a rectal laceration, or is it actually an anal fissure? Treatment for the latter has changed and generally Botox injections are the preferred treatment rather than a diverting colostomy.

Was this "nutritionist" actually a registered dietitian? Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.