Thread: Problem of skin and cushion

Problem of skin and cushion

Hello colleagues of the forum, I am writing to consult you about a problem I have on my skin a while ago. For a couple of years I used a HYBRID ROHO cushion and I never had any problem until at one point I started hurting between my buttock and my leg, Right in the folds. For them to heal the wounds I started using a ROHO QUADTRO and putting a cream I got them to close, the problem is that with it ROHO QUADTRO I can not transfer (I am a complete c5 without triceps), and I would like to use the ROHO HYBRID again another pillow more stable than him ROHO QUADTRO to be able to make the transfers more easily. I wanted to know if it has happened to someone that from one moment to the next they have started to mark their skin in this way without an apparent reason and how they have solved it. The dermatologist sent me blood tests and everything went normal that confuses me even more ... I hope you can give me recommendations on the subject of skin and cushions, it would be very useful.
    I leave a photo so you can see where the brands are.
    Thank you very much.

https://ibb.co/dCnbKR

Do you wear underwear? It looks like either your underwear or your pants (or both) are bunching and binding and causing the skin wrinkles and redness. New or different underwear or pants?

Has something changed in how you get fully positioned in the chair after you have transferred?

Have you checked the cushion for proper inflation lately?

Do use a chair with full recline to be able to do a stretched out pressure shift?

How often are you able to do pressure shifts? How long do you spend in a relief position?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Do you wear underwear? It looks like either your underwear or your pants (or both) are bunching and binding and causing the skin wrinkles and redness. New or different underwear or pants?

Has something changed in how you get fully positioned in the chair after you have transferred?

Have you checked the cushion for proper inflation lately?

Do use a chair with full recline to be able to do a stretched out pressure shift?

How often are you able to do pressure shifts? How long do you spend in a relief position?
    Hi gjnl !, thanks for answering!
    I use diapers in a preventive way, they had never marked me before ..., I tested with 2 different models and the 2 mark.
    Already inflate and deflate the cushion and mark the same. In fact I went ahead a bit too but it did not work.
    I use a tilite zra and I do not change weight (I never did them and I never had before)
    Greetings and thanks!

Living with a spinal cord injury is fluid. It is good to remember what worked for a while may change and not work now or in the future. You are 13+ years post injury and can expect changes in the quality of your skin, your bowel and bladder habits over time, and positioning. You may find you do need to find a way to do more weight shifts, change the type of clothing you wear, and possibly even the addict diapers you use.

On a particular day, when you are feeling confident that you won't have bowel or bladder issues to worry about, try going without underwear. as they say...go commando. Don't change anything else, the cushion you are using, the weight shift etc. See if this makes a difference. If it does, you have your answer...it is the diaper you are wearing. Maybe you need a different style or different size. If there is no difference, change something else...if you wear jeans, try wearing a pair of sweat pants. Keep trying this process of elimination. Hopefully you will find your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Living with a spinal cord injury is fluid. It is good to remember what worked for a while may change and not work now or in the future. You are 13+ years post injury and can expect changes in the quality of your skin, your bowel and bladder habits over time, and positioning. You may find you do need to find a way to do more weight shifts, change the type of clothing you wear, and possibly even the addict diapers you use.

On a particular day, when you are feeling confident that you won't have bowel or bladder issues to worry about, try going without underwear. as they say...go commando. Don't change anything else, the cushion you are using, the weight shift etc. See if this makes a difference. If it does, you have your answer...it is the diaper you are wearing. Maybe you need a different style or different size. If there is no difference, change something else...if you wear jeans, try wearing a pair of sweat pants. Keep trying this process of elimination. Hopefully you will find your answer.
    Thank you very much gjnl !, I will try to try on underwear, it gives me terror but I will try. Do you recommend any cushion in particularor some way to strengthen the skin?

I had a developed a sore in the same spot only on my right side after using a Jay 2 cushion for 10+ years. I have intact sensation on my right side but wouldn't feel any pain until I had been sitting for a few hours. I demoed a few other cushions and had the same result. By not wearing pants one day I discovered it was being caused by a fold in right pant leg. I have less function on my right side resulting in more atrophy than the left side. Apparently the loose material on the right pant leg would fold up when moving around and performing pressure releases. The sore was a blister that was broken open caused by the fold. I finally cured it and solved the problem by applying a Tegaderm transparent film dressing after a shower. the Tegaderm adds some strength to the skin of this old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Resistencia View Post
    Thank you very much gjnl !, I will try to try on underwear, it gives me terror but I will try. Do you recommend any cushion in particularor some way to strengthen the skin?
    A cushion can't strengthen your skin, only help protect it from pressure. Weight shifts that get all pressure off the area for several minutes at a time every hour to hour and a half are your best line of defense.

I personally use a Roho Contour Select Cushion: https://permobilus.com/product/roho-...selectcushion/

That said, I have a power chair with tilt and recline.

Quote Originally Posted by tprewitt View Post
    I had a developed a sore in the same spot only on my right side after using a Jay 2 cushion for 10+ years. I have intact sensation on my right side but wouldn't feel any pain until I had been sitting for a few hours. I demoed a few other cushions and had the same result. By not wearing pants one day I discovered it was being caused by a fold in right pant leg. I have less function on my right side resulting in more atrophy than the left side. Apparently the loose material on the right pant leg would fold up when moving around and performing pressure releases. The sore was a blister that was broken open caused by the fold. I finally cured it and solved the problem by applying a Tegaderm transparent film dressing after a shower. the Tegaderm adds some strength to the skin of this old man.
    Hello Tprewitt, Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking that gjnl is right and the problem is diapers, but I do not encourage you to stop using them ..., I can not find a solution to the problem ...

Can you try using a heavier sanitary pad either stuck to some underpants or just to your pants, will give you leak protection

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    Can you try using a heavier sanitary pad either stuck to some underpants or just to your pants, will give you leak protection
    OP is male. Unclear if he is using diapers for urine or stool incontinence. I agree though that avoiding any type of diaper is a good idea. If you have urine leakage, a "drip collector" can work for males, or an external condom catheter. If stool, reworking your bowel program may be needed to avoid accidents.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.